Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, June 3, 2011

Normalcy

The picnic table was lopsided, but that didn't seem to matter.  Janet and I were both eager to dig into our picnic lunches at Fairy Lake.  The sun was shining brightly as the wind delighted in blowing our wrappers everywhere.  We adjusted to the cooler temperatures as conversation warmed up.  More and more I am finding that I laugh a lot, and yes, if you have ever met me personally, you know I laugh out LOUD.  :)  Well, during one point of our luncheon, Janet was sharing stories that were making me chuckle and a lady walking on the path nearby veered off the trail and asked "is everything normal here?"  What a silly question... yes, everything is normal.  That's all she asked.  She walked away. 

Normal: (defined by Wikipedia) - in regards to behaviour, it "refers to a lack of significant deviation from the average".  Old English Dictionary describes normalcy as "conforming to a standard".

Now that I've looked up the definition of normal - NO, everything is not normal here... for a variety of reasons:
1. I love Jesus!!
2. I'm dwelling in a space between two lands - currently serving in Canada, and seeking funds to serve in Uganda.
3. I'm constantly living out of a suitcase as most of my stuff has been in storage for two years and I love to travel - to meet up with the amazing friends I have been blessed with around the world, or to explore God's creation.  (As a matter of fact, I am leaving in about an hour for a road trip to Massachusetts.)
4. I'm turning 35 in 3.5 weeks and still sleep with a teddy bear.  (ooo, and now I'm a woman who's not afraid to share her age.)
5. I will never have too many friends.
6. I appreciate life!

I wish I could find that lady again and tell her that my abnormal life IS completely normal for me.

While buying iron tablets at the drugstore the other day, the cashier looked at my sapphire ring and asked if that was my birthstone.  I said, "No".  She was curious as to why I wore the ring then, and I explained that I bought it off the discount rack at a gem store in Thailand.  She was not expecting that answer at all.  "Wow, do you travel much?"  I explained that "Yes, I do".  I've spent a year in the Netherlands, three years in the Philippines, a year in East Africa... and a few more places.  She just shook her head and squeaked out "May I ask?  How OLD are you?"  ... You're right... that doesn't sound like a normal life... But I sure thank God for every step of the journey He has taken me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment