Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Behind the Face


Shopping bags drag my arms down, but my attitude is high.  Today has been a day of experiencing the world through another person's eyes.  After winning a game of Super Quiz against Caroline and Michelle, we loaded back into Winnie and drove down to Pittsfield.  Destination: The Mount - a gorgeous homestead of Edith Wharton... an author, designer and human rights activist.  The grounds were peaceful, with well laid out gardens, stone walls, and perfectly manicured lawns.  The mansion tour was cool, especially since I was traveling with ladies who have never seen the homes in Europe that I have explored.  It brought a fresh perspective for me... a new excitement for the extraordinary.  I feel like I really learned a lot about Edith Wharton, her books - like "The House of Mirth", "The Age of Innocence", or "The Buccaneers", and her love for her home on the Mount. 


Leaving the Mount we drove back into the quaint, yet costly, town - where it took forever for the pedestrian lights to allow us to cross the street.  Diving in and out of cute shops, bookstores, and an ice-cream parlor we loaded up with unexpected packages.  :)  What else are galavanting gals supposed to do on vacation - besides, I need something to declare at the border!!

One of our favourite stops was "Persnickety Toys" - where the toys moved and the shop keeper was super friendly.  While perusing the store, a young man came in to buy a glowing wand.  At first I couldn't keep from staring... he was the kind of man I've never seen before.  He wore camo pants and black jacket, but coming out from the back of the jacket was a grey furry tail.  His lips had four peircings and there was one stud between his eyebrows as well.  He decorated his head with a bandana headband with old pilot goggles on top and long blue coiled springs tied in to the back.  I so much wanted to learn about the man behind the mask.

Apparently "to woo" (to win a stranger over) is my number one strength, so I began chatting with this young man, and I'm so glad I did.  He is a local guy that just celebrated his 21st birthday on Sunday.  His grandmother made him one of his favourite meals, which originally she thought was going to be lamb, but he went for a one pot meal of chuck roast.  He works at a fast food joint and hasn't learned to drive yet, and thinks that the Berkshires is a tough place to live.  He says it is great for a tourist to be here, but he really wants to get out of the area.  Anyways, the conversation to go much beyond that, but I'm glad I got to know the man behind the costume.  A sweet spirit who just wants a friend and a purposeful life.

I left the shop thankful for the friends that I have and glad that I have more to experience in Massachusetts.  Now... I'm off to the pool and hot tub!  Good night folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment