Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, October 27, 2011

Doctor Delight

It's 1:15 am and I'm trying to wind down from a truly eventful day.  Right now my heart rate is starting to go back to normal after an intense, but amazing, Major league Baseball game in which the Cardinals came back with a win!!  Wow - on to game 7 tomorrow night to find out who the World Series winner is.  So good.
This morning I got up early to meet with a few older ladies from church for a time of fellowship before coming back to Bradford for an appointment with a travel doctor.  Doctors are not normally my favourite people, but the doctor this morning moved WAY up in my books.  First of all, he was friendly and explained clearly all the immunizations that I needed for going back to Uganda... I was shot with a TB test, typhoid fever, and influenza, also giving Dukoral, Giardia meds, and anti-malarials... (sure wish I had benefits right now)... but besides all that: He CARED.  This doctor took the time to ask questions about where I was going.  He was intrigued to learn that my team and I were working with former child soldiers in Uganda.  He asked who the leader of the LRA was and what were some of the ways we were following up with the soldiers.  I explained to him both the community development aspect - goat projects, mass grave, and crop cuttings, as well as the rehab aspect through things like art therapy.  I realize that Team Beyond isn't necessarily the supplier / initiator for all of these ministries, but it has been a blessing to walk alongside other agencies who care and strive to make a difference for these young men and women.  I was super excited though when the doctor even wanted to hear about how my faith made a difference for some of the oppressed in northern Uganda and that finding forgiveness and freedom in Christ was sometimes the only way for these young people to truly work through the horrifying experiences of war.  We have been leading Bible studies and sponsoring the former LRA to attend "Father Heart Encounters" where they can learn about and experience the love of God.  The doctor was so excited about the work I will be doing for the next 2.5 years that he called his assistant in to also share the story.  When I walked out of the office 45 minutes later, the nurse had my prayer card in her file and I had a huge bill in my hands, but an even bigger smile on my face.
I am super fired up about going to Uganda right now... and so close to my target budget.  If I had 50 more friends donating and supporting $20/month, or 20 friends give $50/month I would totally be on my way.  Oh oh oh, now my heart is racing again... I am so close to getting on a plane... it may be another sleepless night of excitement.

"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Amen"

Week 5. Bethel Ministries
Day 4. October 27
Read: John 4:24
"For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth."

Today we pray for:
Worship Planning Team

No comments:

Post a Comment