Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, October 7, 2011

Post-Op

Slouching on the couch, at the end of a long day, I thought I should give you an update of my surgery.  Arriving at the hospital at 7:15 am, I checked in for surgery and waited with Dad in the sitting room.  The doctor, nurse, and anesthesiologist all came to talk to me, to tell me what to expect.  The surgery would be 15 minutes long.  The first two days should be bearable for pain management, but days 4,5, and 6 will be worse.  I would be in the post-op waiting room for six hours just to make sure that my cauterized throat won't hemorrhage.  Great... lots to look forward to.

I remember the nurse having difficulty finding a vein for the IV on my left hand, and after two bruising attempts, she moved to the right hand where the needle slipped right in.  An oxygen mask was slipped over my face, and before I knew it, I was waking up in the recovery room.  I felt pretty good - like I just woke up from a refreshing nap.  Within a half hour I was moved to another post-op room where I spent the next six hours reading, watching people, and DRINKING an unbelievable amount of liquids. 

The pain didn't start until about 2:30 in the afternoon.  My tongue feels swollen and that the muscles have all been pulled.  My jaw hurts like it's been yanked wide open.  I took skin off my lip with a frosty popsicle, and then there is the fact that I am now missing two tonsils.  I was discharged at 3 pm, where Dad wheeled me out to the van and drove me home.  I haven't felt nauseous all day - just tired, so I went home to take a nap.  I have spent the remainder of my day, taking in liquids, struggling to talk, watching tv, and napping.  I hope tomorrow I can eat something more than a popsicle and ice water.

Week 2.  Bethel's Journey of Discovery
Day 5: October 7

Read: Romans 12:20-21
"On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.  In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.'
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Today we pray for:
Our church mentor/coach

No comments:

Post a Comment