Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Saturday, October 1, 2011

Habitats

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying "living" with my parents, but today is one of those days I am grateful for all the habitats I've had in the past.  The old farm house in Whitechurch was a fantastic home for the first 23 years of my life.  College dorms were a brand new adventure for me - lack of sleep, constant attention, sharing living spaces - which I never had to do before as I had three younger brothers. 

Then it was off to the Netherlands for a year where I had a cool studio apartment above a two car garage.  It was the first place that I called mine.  In the Philippines I moved in to a neighbourhood with the greatest neighbourhood watch program anyone could wish for.  The whole street knew whenever I was coming or going.  :)  In the Philippines I started living with people from other cultures and absolutely loved it.  I miss dinners around the round table with my roomie, Ching, or the square table with my sister Merly. 

When I was little, I used to dream about a home I would own someday.  I always wanted a renovated one room school house - with the open loft concept and a round metal staircase.  I was absolutely pumped when I moved to Tacloban, Philippines and found that God has granted my wish - on the mission field!!  I had a round metal stair case and the open concept loft upstairs on third floor was my bedroom.  Never mind the fact that rats haunted the rafters and a cat was forced to sleep with me.  :)

I will never forget my SWEET apartment in Schomberg.  I decorated the place with articles from around the world.  My landlords were a huge blessing and it was uber close to work.  The best part of the apartment was, well, three parts - the huge kitchen - so I could host dinner parts, lots of light from the open window and walk-out glass doors, and my favourite - a gas fire place, so I could stay warm!

In Kalacha, Kenya I spent a few weeks living in a mud house with dirt floors and scorpions.  Then moved over to Soroti, Uganda, where I was the host of Team Beyond's guest house.  Most of the time I had the house alone, but occasionally all 12 beds were full and I was a busy hostess. 

You know, at the moment I am in a little room in the basement.  I was chatting with a friend on Skype the other night who actually thought I was sleeping in a closet.  :)  It's definitely not big, but it's home for now.

I'm praying about my new home... The house I really want in Soroti, Uganda is having the rent increased.  The landlady is really hard to connect with from this side of the ocean, but I'm continuing to communicate with her and bartering on the house price. 

Above all though - I am glad I have a home.... and today I'm praying for those that don't - see below!

Week 1. We Pray for our Community
Day 6:October 1

Read: Romans 12:6-8
"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.  If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is encouraging, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

Today we pray for:
Habitat for Humanity - a non-profit organization working towards a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment