Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Long Luncheon

Last week I had been thinking about all the things I do with the FIDA office and I decided that I wanted to throw them a luncheon to say "Hey, thanks for letting me partner with you - whether it is going to the field, attending a funeral, or worshipping at a spiritual retreat." So I sent out verbal invitations and hoped that a few people would come over for lunch on Monday.

Yesturday I raced to the market after school and bought a few groceries before biking quickly home. (I think I often mention that I bike fast - but that's because I do... I pass everyone on the road.) Close to one o'clock I started cutting and cooking and by two I was ready for guests - with chili, curried cabbage and coconut chicken to go over rice. Well, four of them arrived at 2pm. They ate and relaxed for a bit and then around 3:30 pm 9 more people showed up. I was delighted to meet people from a FIDA office that is two hours away. They just happened to be in town and felt free enough to come over.

I was so excited to see at least 13 people enjoy my food. The compliments were flowing, but not really all about the food. Many were commenting on how they were surprised and honoured that a mzungu would cook for them, serve, and even do the dishes. :) I was happy that I could make a difference in their perceptions of the white world.

The last people left at five when two of us decided to go the the Flying School to go swimming with the frogs, in the only pool in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment