Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, November 2, 2009

Wood and Bibles

9:30 am, today, I opened my gate to receive a taxi van that had come to pick up my house full of guests. I enjoyed getting to know 5 more Michiganders, and was privileged to take part in the Set Free Ministries seminar. The last couple of days have been another whirlwind of activities.
Saturday afternoon I started preparing a few dishes for a shared team meal. I also biked to town to pick up some Bibles for my Princesses. The owner of the bookshop had texted me and told that they were finally in, but when I got there, the owner was no where to be seen and the other staff didn't know anything about Bibles. So instead, I walked across the street to My Supermarket and bought some icecream as a special treat for the gang in my home.
Saturday night there was a bonfire planned for after dinner, with a time of praise and worship. Usually I send my guard out to buy would, but when I was biking home from town I noticed that there was only one bundle left at the nearest vendor, so I decided to pick it myself.
Here I am, biking in the yard with my bundle of firewood, about to make its way to the fire pit.
Dinner was yummy! Praise and worship was awesome.... spontaneous... with Bokmas, Set Free people, Shaardas, Lawrence, Jackson, and my princesses in attendance. It was unplanned and heartfelt. God is good.
I don't know how to describe Sunday yet. My Sunday school kids were rowdy and stubborn. The Pastor wanted to invite me and two of my guests over for lunch, but I don't him we couldn't stay because one had to teach a class that afternoon, and the other one wanted to eat lunch with the rest of his team-mates. Well, we settled for a soda... but that still took at least a half an hour. The pastor asked us what kind we wanted and then he left to buy them, while we sat in his tiny living room, alone. Josiah and I pulled out a National Geographic photography book to look at while we waited. Then Pastor and his wife came back and pastor started into a long monologue about ministry and his life. I finally, but kindly, was able to interrupt by saying, "Pastor, I think you are doing an amazing job serving in Pamba. Why don't we pray for you before we go." I prayed and then we left. :) He did understand though that we were on American time with schedules to follow.
And now, I just finished closing the gate behind 14 absolutely excited and blessed Princesses. I was having a hard time coming up with material to teach the girls tonight because of all the visitors I have had for the past six days, so I decided to show them "The Chronicles of Narnia" (the older version). Wow, first of all, I don't think these village girls have seen a lot of television, and then I thought I was scaring them royally, but they were soon grasping the symbolism and sitting on the edge of their seats. When Aslan came back to life from off the Stone Table the girls screamed in wonder! Their hands and voices were cheering as the battle went on between good and evil. They marvelled at God's grace.
About half way through the movie the owner of the bookstore delivered my Bibles in his personal automobile. He felt so bad for being late. I was just glad to get these Bibles. I signed each one with a personal note while the girls drank sodas and snacked on watermelon and popcorn and peanuts. They actually spit the watermelon seeds all over my living room floor. :) Thankfully they also swept them all up before they left. 14 Princesses jumped around my dining room table as I handed out Bibles with a note, a Canadian sticker, and two bookmarks. Some were shocked that they finally owned a Bible for the first time in their lives... others were just delighted to have a version that was understandable. I just thank the Lord for such a wonderful evening. The girls have been a blessing to me in so many ways!


No comments:

Post a Comment