Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pets in the yard

I have been meaning to send my nephew Jacob some pictures of the monkeys in my yard... and here they are:
This is Bobo - a Savannah monkey and I don't trust him at all. He spends the majority of his time running in circles - all that his chain will allow him, and jumping over his water bucket.

Miss Chief loves to play with her food tray and is a little more trustworthy. I let her take food from my hands, but she doesn't have enough length on her chain to get to me.

I thought you might enjoy the recipe I found in a Ugandan cookbook today:

Roasted White Ants
250 g white ants (sun dried)
1 teaspoon of salt
Sort the white ants to remove stones, soil, and any other rubbish.
Dip them in hot water and scoop them out allowing grit to remain at the bottom by using a perforated spoon and getting a few at a time.
Put in a pan and add the salt. Dry fry/pan roast, turning all the time.
Cook for 10-15 minutes till dry but do not allow them to get over dry or burn.
Remove from heat and spread on a tray. Serve warm

4 comments:

  1. Jacob is napping right now, but I will be sure to show him these when he gets up. He will be so excited to see tante Bear's monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes Karen...I can't believe you ate ants...I hope they were yummy. I won't be ordering any of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ants eh....
    well, I guess if you haven't tried it you can't say you don't like it......wonder if that would work the same on the ants in my backyard ;)

    ReplyDelete