Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sports Day in Obalanga

I have just now kicked my feet up after a very long day.   I awoke early because of the roosters and spent some time in God’s Word before preparing for my long, bumpy road trip to Obalanga.  Beckie drove with a few neighbour kids out to the village, and I hopped along with FIDA.  FIDA is a development agency that works a lot with the former child soldiers... the last time I was here I enjoyed doing the field work with them.  It was kind of special when the car came to “pick me” at the gate today, because Charles and Bob did not know I was back in the country.  Charles is always the driver, and Bob overseas the Soroti office.  Of course, Lydia, Prossy, and Lawrence knew I was coming along today and so they had lots of things planned for me.
We planned on leaving Soroti at 8 am and Beckie was certain that wasn’t going to happen, so she left a little later... and she was right... we ended up going into Soroti town first to buy 5 sacks of rice, soccer balls, water and snacks, and some medicines before heading out to the village.  Beckie was right behind us when we ended up driving on the very rough roads.  It was about 10:30 am before we arrived, and we found that 4 communities of CAAF kids had already arrived to begin sports day.  CAAF = Children Affected by Armed Forces.  Due to the late start, and too many FIDA announcements, and a switch in leadership, my “prepared” sermonette was postponed, but I was asked to lead about 300 people in prayer to start the day.
The boys played soccer all day and the girls played net ball.  I have never seen that game before and it’s kind of a combination between ultimate Frisbee and basketball.  Beckie kept score with the girls and I floated through the crowds have some God-ordained conversations.  Discussions such as forgiveness, purity, and patience came up as I sat with the spectators and chatted the day away.  Near the end of the festivities, Beckie and I helped to serve supper to all of the CAAF kids who attended.  Rice and cow parts – intestines, tripe, bones and some small meats, skin, and other chewy parts.... J It was fun serving the tired youth.

I met a couple of young people from Abim today.  That is a small village, about three hours north of Soroti that has caught my heart, and I’m thinking the Lord may expand my borders to that place.  These youth were asking me if I would come and share with them some Biblical studies.  They have a desire to deepen their faith and understand God’s Word better.  That makes me so excited that these former child soldiers wish to grow in the Lord.  Please pray those doors will clearly open in that is the direction I am supposed to take while living in northern Uganda.
The tournaments ended shortly after 6 pm... Then there were a few short announcements before we left the village at 6:30 pm.  Driving the bumpy roads is much worse in the dark, but I trust Charles as a driver – and FIDA has a heavy duty vehicle.  Conversations flowed as we headed back to Soroti.  It doesn’t feel like I have been gone for two years.  The people in the vehicle are such good friends to me; it is an honour to serve alongside of them again.  I was dropped off shortly after 8 pm and I’m thinking tonight might be a good night to go to bed early.  The African sun makes me very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment