Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, November 4, 2010

Excursion to Leigh

Nov 1: Waking up Monday morning, I felt much more refreshed and released from jet lag. Showering, repacking, and house cleaning all took place before the Scott family, my new friend Catherine, and I all loaded up into two vehicles to head north to Leigh. Leaving home at 11 am we were all ready for a grand adventure. I was told to be adventurous and try some lollies (candies) called “Pineapple Lumps”, so at the first pit stop I bought a bag. The other expats didn’t think I would like them, but they quickly became a new addiction. They were a sweet sensation – pineapple flavoured chewy toffee coated with chocolate.

Rows and rows of grapevines cover some hills while sheep and cattle meander on other foothills. A vineyard called “The Ascension” caught our attention, so we pulled in for a wine tasting of locally made varieties. I enjoyed a thick port the most. After briefly stretching our legs we loaded back in and continued northeast.

Just before one we rolled in to our new abode... a cottage with three bedrooms, overlooking the port in Leigh. Boats come in to harbour when the tides are high, while cars creep their way across a rugged cement driveway and shell covered beach to get to the home at the bottom of the hill during low-tide.
Snack foods exploded on to the bench (kiwi word for countertop) and suitcases burst open on our beds. We were all excited to explore the area and to completely relax.
I found a Sudoku book to keep me occupied during off times, but it wasn’t long before Cat, Travis and I drove off to Goat Island. Jealousy was swallowed as I watched Cat and Travis climb into the rough shallow waters with their wetsuits and snorkel gear. I hiked around the area – with fields of sheep and incredible coastal views. But soon found my way back to the water’s edge to dip my feet in and search out ocean life. Sea urchins, pink and black crabs, anemones, and stunning tidal paths captivated my attention.

A couple of hours passed before we made our way back to the cottage to have dinner and chill for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment