Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, October 31, 2010

Quietly Equipping

While booking my trip to come to New Zealand, I was super excited to see how God is working here... and today I was able to get a great taste of what is happening in one small church plant.
On October 31st: At nine this morning Travis and I drove up to "K road" to find the church offices.  I say "up" because Auckland is full of hills and the church is seriously up from the Scott's home.  K is for Karangahape.  Travis unlocked the building which is mainly under construction and I waited down the hall while he opened the office room.  Setting up for the equipping class, and getting coffee ready kept us busy until 10 am when four other ladies joined us for "Equipping Class".  It's like adult Sunday school, except that in NZ, Sunday school is only for children. 
The morning did not turn out at all as expected because less than half the normal crowd did not make an appearance.  So we had a good discussion morning on rationalizing our faith - to KNOW what we believe.  A question was also raised about whether or not we should even reach out to those who want to go to hell and don't even care.  Deep topics... and very informative and well-thought through answers were had.
A quiet afternoon followed... with lunch, a nap, and some down time, before heading over to another lady's home for House Church.
I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a few young adults in this group.  We gathered at 6 pm for a potluck meal, and then at 7 pm 23 of us circled round for a service without song.  We shared liturgies and had a deep teaching on the Wide and Narrow Gates.  It may not be easy to follow on the narrow path, but I am so grateful that I have chosen Jesus... who is the Gate, the Way, the Truth, and the Life.... so I will stand with Him in the end.
All in all, it was a very insightful day and I must admit I was glad to meet such a great group of educated, intellectual, and thought-provoking people.  Somehow I was expecting an older group... who hardly knew the Scriptures, but this group truly thirsts for a depth of knowledge.  And I am so proud to see Travis lead this tender flock - with patience, perseverence, and a gift for studying and teaching God's Word.  I will be praying they find a place to worship before they begin to have Sunday morning services, which they hope to launch in April.  Feel free to pray with me, that God's will be done in Auckland Central.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    Guess I don't have to wait until you get home to know you are doing real well!!!!Have fun and know that I am thinking of you.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete