Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Yesterday's Tweet

Climbing up the stairs at 11am, I entered the kitchen to make some chai tea. Putting the milk on to heat, I walked over to the window to look at the sunny fall sky outside. To my surprise, a yellow bird had come to visit our deck. My first thought was a finch, but upon looking closer, I thought, "no, it's too yellow." Dad was sitting on the couch, resting his knee after surgery last Friday, but he even got up to take a closer look.
Slowly opening the sliding door, I cautiously stepped out on to the deck. The bird didn't move. I came within thirty inches of it, before it started to just jump away. It had blue tags on it's feet... obviously someone's pet.
I attempted to catch it, and so did Dad and our neighbour. (So did our neighbour's two little dogs, but thankfully Houdini flew the short distance of 4 feet back to our deck.) I left the door open, and within about 5 minutes time Houdini flew in to the house.
Perching on the couch, it was much easier to catch our little lost friend. Soon we became buds.
Houdini made himself at home on the main floor of the house, until I made a makeshift cage for him. A bucket with a stick for him to climb on, and two little containers for water and sesame seeds. I placed a cookie rack over the top of the bucket... and ta da... I have a pet.
I can't keep him in the bucket though. I love having Houdini tweet around and rest on my hands. The tags on his legs tell me that he was born in 2008, but after calling a pet store, there is no way to mark it's own.
As much as I love having Houdini around, he belongs to someone else. I may need to make posters to hang on the area mailboxes... and or check the newspaper for missing ads.
Dad has always loved Tweety Bird, and he too was excited to learn that yellow canaries are also called Tweeties.... he finally has a tweety of his own. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment