Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Time to Rest

Two weeks ago I returned to Uganda, ready to jump into action and serve God however I could.  The day after arriving home I went up to Abim, a village that I love, about 3 hours north of Soroti.  I went with FIDA, an NGO that reaches out to former child soldiers or to teens affected by cattle raiding.  The day was long and the roads were bumpy, but I was so glad that I went.  Ever since then, I've been waiting to see what God wants me to do next.  And it's OKAY!

The women on my team have decided to do a Bible Study on Monday nights.  We are working through "Experiencing God" by Henry and Richard Blackaby.  This particular study is about knowing and doing the will of God.  Not an easy topic... even for people like me... being a Christ-follower for as long as I can remember.  In order to do this study well, I have been digging into God's Word more and that is exciting.  It's refreshing to see and hear what God has to say.  Here are a few things that pop out from the workbook:
  • "As I follow Jesus one day at a time, He will keep me in the center of God's will."
  • "Watch to see where God is working, and join Him."
  • "To be a servant of God, you must be moldable and remain in the hand of the Master."
  • "When I find out where the Master is working, then I know where I need to be."
  • "God reveals what He is about to do.  That revelation becomes an invitation to join Him."
I think you can see a theme here.  God has me in a time of resting and praying - seeing where He wants me to join Him next.  Sure, I could create projects to do here, but I don't want to jump ahead of God or create dependency with the locals.  And so, I wait...

In the meantime... I am finally outfitting my home.  It was supposed to be furnished when I returned in June, but now I'm going constantly to the carpenters shop and trying to get a stove shipped to Soroti.  Slowly my house is becoming a home.

I am also visiting, encouraging, and praying with the many friends that I have in town.  One friend had a sweet baby girl.  Another is in an abusive relationship.  A business owner keeps asking for advice on how to make his business not only sustainable, but also attractive and inviting.   

This is also a time for being... Being able to visit my friends as often as I want at the Sikh temple.  Part of me is sad because one of the daughters is going home to India on August 5th and I'm going to miss her a lot.... Or being able to mourn with a local orphanage, as they just lost a sweet 17 year old to kidney or liver failure... And a time to be supportive to my team - especially as they deal with spiritual attacks or sickness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment