Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Saturday, July 21, 2012

Unsuccessfully Successful

Early Thursday morning, I jumped into the Fida vehicle to head to Napac district in Karamoja.  Our plan was to run a seminar on Village Savings and Loans.  We got three quarters of the way when the roads became impassible.  Rainy season has come to the north and roads were too muddy or washed out.
 I walked for almost a kilometre in my barefeet, to assess the situation with my travelmates and it was decided that we would turn around and head for the village of Apeitolim instead.
 Here I am - walking the mile - way TOO slippery!
 The drive back south was absolutely beautiful!!  I love the hills in Northern Uganda.
 Eight hours after our journey first began we came to another section of road where a bridge had been washed out.  The boys went out to assess the situation. 
 Destiny and I waited by the side of the water while the boys decided they could cross the river bed... and soon we were on our way to Apeitolim.
 We only spent an hour there - organizing for the training the following day and making sure everything was ready to go.
 Mudfish was being sold at the market - not my favourite - it tastes "muddy".
 We also saw delicious mushrooms at the market and decided they would be on the menu for the evening dinner.  So we bought a few and brought them to a restaurant near the guest house where we were staying.
 The mushrooms were delightfully cooked with a tomato soup!
 The following morning we got up early again to make the one hour journey back to Apeitolim and again came back to the troubled bridge - where we witnessed a troubled lorry stuck in the riverbed.  This truck had gotten stuck in the night and most of these travelers were tired and very hungry.  Thankfully I was able to share a few loaves of bread and jugs of water with them.
 The wheels were seriously stuck - the truck had to be jacked up so that rocks found in the river could be placed under the wheels.
 Pushing hardly helped at all... so,
 I went fishing instead and talked about God's will for our lives, and how He is with us through the good and bad times.  We prayed for patience and safety for those working on the truck.  (Two of our trainers had been sent ahead to Apeitolim on a piki (motorcycle) so that the training could continue on.) 
 Four hours after our arrival, the truck was finally freed.  Our driver decided he wasn't going to cross the river, but the lorry truck was willing to take me to Apeitolim so I could greet the people and see how the training was going on.  I had a blast in the back of the truck - listening and eating freshly boiled cassava root.
 I was wearing a scarf in attempt to keep the sun off my face the whole day - but it didn't work well - I became extremely sunburnt... but worth every minute of it!!
 Carol was busy teaching when I arrived in the village, and I was glad to see that many participants were willing to learn.
 So I went to hang out with the children instead.  It was fun teaching them about the camera and trying to get them to stay far enough back to make a group photo... they kept wanting to come closer. 
 These Karamajong women also wanted to be a part of the photo shoot... I love the beads and you can see some tatoo markings on their faces.
I was surprised to see this little boy wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costume for his every day attire.... o, you never know what you will find in the village.  At the end of the day I took a piki back to the truck and we made a long haul home to Soroti.  It felt so good to sleep in my own bed again, and thankfully the village of Apeitolim has organized themselves into small groups - to save money and make a difference in their community.  God is good... and I'm thankful for the adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome photos. Thank for sharing. Looks like you are having a blast riding in God's palm, turning lemons into lemonade. Miss you - and praying as always!

    ReplyDelete