Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, January 30, 2012

An Uphill Battle

I am so glad that the battle belongs to the Lord.  Every day is a new adventure here in Teso Land, and some days the going is easy and others it's draining and hard work.  For the past few weeks I have had an internal struggle with trying to figure out what God really wants for my life.  How can I use my gifts, passions, and skills here in Soroti?  How can I teach others to work with purpose - with their time and hands, when so much of my time is spent building and encouraging relationships?  When will I really start working on the projects I know God has sent me to Uganda to do?  I wish I could audibly hear God's voice saying "Wait"... "Go"... "Do"... "Be". 
 The other night I joined a few friends and team-mates in climbing Ochiloi Rock.  This lonely rock is about a twenty minute drive from Soroti and a great place to exercise, relax, and watch the sun set.  Thankfully I know I am not alone in this city.  I have wonderful Ugandan friends, trustworthy and adored team-mates, and many great ministry projects on the horizon.  I am slowly beginning to learn that because I have come as a long-term missionary, I want to be certain that the mountain I am climbing for Jesus is the right one.  I want to spend my time, money, and energy on the right people!
 Today I spent over 8 hours with my team, discussing strategy and breaking up into small groups where we can really reach out to energize, encourage, equip and engage the local church to build transforming lives in the surrounding communities.  It was an intense afternoon as I chatted with a few other wing men to assess the needs and assets of Soroti town.  The needs are great - widows, street kids, beggars, mentally disabled and mentally ill, corrupt businesses, different religions, and poverty.  The assets are few, but at least there are some!!!  In town, at least, there is some money (compared to the villages) and there are a few churches (although how holistically Biblical is yet to be determined).  I am excited about feeling called to the downtown area of Soroti... so much so that I want to move into town and find a church in town... instead I have a place in "suburbia".  Not really suburbia, but definitely not the heart of the city.  :)
 But don't worry my friends, many days I have mountain top experiences.  I know that God is teaching and using me here everyday.  I know that Christ's name is being proclaimed and that already I can see some people's values changing.  I praise God for each new day and I delight in seeing how He chooses to fill those hours.
 Now another day has past.  The sun has just set over flat Teso land and the power has gone out.  Even as I sit alone in the dark, I know that my mind is full of ideas and possibilities.  The many children in the region are still calling out to my heart and I pray for the former child soldiers.  Use me Lord, use even me.
Hopefully though I will sleep well tonight, instead of being on guard like this owl... I need my rest.  It's HOT season right now - almost 115 degrees the past few days... and every task consumes energy. 

1 comment:

  1. Checking in to say "Hi" Karen! 115 degrees? Oh my!

    Beautiful photos. God bless you and may you feel him so very close as you minister to such great needs.

    ReplyDelete