Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day 2012

I found the mango tree back with no problem and was surprised to see at least 7 familiar faces amidst the crowd.  These lovely people greeted me with huge hugs and welcomed me back to Soroti.  The service was nice - with worship songs that have become familiar to me over time, but songbooks were also handed out and we surprisingly sang three old hymns.  I loved it.  The sermon was decent, coming from an untrained accountant, but it once again convinced me that Biblical studies across the board is needed in Uganda.  Too many verses are taken out of context - especially trying to promote a prosperity gospel.  Over and over I heard the speaker say he was hoping 2012 would be the year he receives his blessing from the Lord. 

After church my car was loaded with old ladies and young children, and I drove them all over to Pastor George and Winnie's compound.  Grass mats were laid out on the ground for the ladies to sit on.  They sit up straight, with their legs stretched out flat infront of them.  (I don't know how they do it... I can't sit so perpendicular or I get a back ache.)  The men collected plastic chairs and sat in a circle under the mango tree.  Two mango trees provide great shade for the whole afternoon.  It was absolutely precious to see one little boy follow his dad into the men's circle.  He was probably 3 or 4 years old, and he was wearing a black tuxedo with tails and a cumberbun. 

The ladies were trying to get me to sit with the men, so I could have a plastic chair, but then Winnie reminded them all that I was a kitchen mzungu.  Their faces lit up when they realized that I would help with preparing lunch.  Washing my hands from the water provided in a yellow jerry can, I quickly set to work peeling potatoes.  The out door kitchen was being put to full use.  Metal pots were filled - three over open fires and two on a charcoal stove.  White rice, rice pilaf, beef, chicken, cabbage, atap, and soups were being prepared... a true New Year's Day feast. 

Before the meal could be served we also had to collect dishes from a variety of locations and wash them all to remove the dust.  As Winnie and I were washing and rinsing we were able to have a deep conversation about the sermon.  The sermon had suggested that we link up with people who have more than us so that we have a chance to receive.  That's the part I struggled with the most... the speaker had suggested that the widow connected with Elijah so that food could be provided for the whole drought.  I thought that was opposite of how it really happened.  Elijah stayed with the lady because she had flour and oil, but really it was GOD who made it all multiply.  If the lady and/or Elijah lacked faith, they all would have starved. 

We started discussing blessings and what they could look like.  At first clothes, food and money were mentioned, but after challenging them to go deeper we came up with a great list - a smile from your husband, a child holding your hand, a hug from a friend, a note of encouragement, a prayer, a clean house, and so much more.  We are blessed in so many ways. 

I left George and Winnie's at 3:30 pm, knowing that I had been blessed by their company, the honesty and fellowship with the ladies, and the opportunity to share and probe just a little bit more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment