Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, January 22, 2012

Not According to Plan

My friends, Sam and Esther asked me to come to the village of Serere to meet with some church leaders there who were really hoping for some Biblical training and encouragement.  I was really nervous about the day because there didn’t seem to be a plan.  Sam told me not to worry, we were just going to meet with a few leaders to see what kind of training they would like and that the Holy Spirit would guide us.

Driving on back roads and sandy paths, after one hour we arrived at this small church made out of bricks and papyrus leaves.  The floor of the church was made of freshly smeared (but now hard and dry) cow dung, with designs drawn in to the dung to add beauty and design.  At first I saw 4 or 5 people and I thought – hey, this can work... let’s talk to the leaders and we’ll be home by 2 (we arrived at 10 am).  Sitting on one of the three chairs in the church, I smiled at the many children who were so excited that a visitor had come to their village.
It didn’t take long for me to learn that I needed to wait, since many more locals were coming... they didn’t truly believe a mzungu was coming to their church, so they worked in the gardens until they heard word of my arrival.  So, it was close to 11 am when the “service” began... During worship, Sam leaned over and asked if I could preach or teach to the crowd – “just something small”.  Woah – now I’m way out of my comfort zone.  Worship was energetic and entertaining.  Then the introductions began (this is one cultural tradition that always stretches my patience – why do I have to be introduced to every person in the church... after 3 or 4 people I forget their names anyways... and it takes up almost an hour of time during the service)and I patiently sat through all of the greetings.  Some were excited that a white person came – they have never seen or shaken hands with a white person before. 
Being in Serere is so different from being in Soroti... in Soroti, the children don’t stare as much or show fear in their eyes.  I broke the ice though with smiles and dance moves during worship – so the kids then felt comfortable staying super near to me all day. 
Just when I thought the service was underway, I was told that Sam, Esther, (their daughter Grace) and I needed to take a break.  The 40 or so people who were in the church were cleared out and a table was brought in to us, with sweet black tea and some plain white boiled sweet potatoes.  We took about 10 minutes to eat our snack before all the people (which I found out were from 3 churches) were called back in.  Yikes, this day was never going to end.  More worship, prayers, and then I was asked to come and speak.  Thankfully I had some sermon notes tucked in my Bible.  Sam was right – I was going under the wing of the Holy Spirit!!  I spent about 25 minutes talking about being a servant leader.  They never imagined that a person could be both a servant and a leader at the same time, until they saw the story of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet through new eyes. 
It’s now 2 pm... and I thought the service was going to end.  No – more worship, and introductions for those who came late.  The church had been filling up throughout the day.  Sam asked me to speak once again.  People have never tasted food like the Words I brought them, and it wasn’t fair for me to just wet their appetite.  Yikes – me?  Lord, really?  Okay – back to the Bible and so grateful for some points again written in my Bible.  I spoke on 1 Corinthians 13:5 – Love “is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”   I was grateful for Sam – who helped with all of the translating.  I knew that people were grasping the message when one man stood up and said “I never knew that people in the west also fight or hold bitterness.  I have now realized that I must forgive and try to love better.”  This same man went on to say that he felt convicted to stop placing curses upon other people’s lives and to love and bless them instead.  He asked for prayers to make this possible.

Well, after having mixed emotions about being there all day, I was glad to see that God had used me once again in spite of my stubbornness and impatience.  I’ve been challenged, stretched, and God’s name has been glorified.  The day finished at 4 when Sam started to see that I was worn out.  He told the leaders to close the program.  The hosts brought atap (local mushy bread made out of cassava and sorghum), rice, and the chewiest chicken ever for us to eat before we began our journey home again.
You should have seen the children chasing the car as I left Serere.  Too precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment