Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, June 17, 2010

Piki-piki ponder



Soroti, Uganda November 2009
“Are you ready?” After a nod of the head, the engine would rev, the tires would spin and prayers would go up. This month I was able to take a few journeys to the village on the back of a piki-piki and it gave me plenty of time to ponder all that I have done in the past 9 months here in Uganda. I had to travel to some surrounding districts to follow up on the mass grave project and to deliver 19 goats to three communities, to encourage former child soldiers, in partnership with Fida International. I made sure I had my introduction speech ready and always a few words to share. Even if it meant five hours on motorcycle during a one day period, I was absolutely willing to go. I’m sure Mom would have prayed hard on those days, if she knew in advance that I was riding a bike, because the driver was speedy and I didn’t always know the way (although I had a pretty good idea). I imagine that long and winding road is a lot like my life this year, trusting God to bring me to the places that He had planned for me and also trusting His leadership, judgment, strength, and wisdom.
Children in school uniforms often coloured the side of the road as we biked by. Some kids would yell with excitement “Mzungu! Mzungu!” and others would slightly kneel and wave out of respect. It made me think of all the kids I have worked with this year. Whether it was tutoring Lydia Shaarda five mornings a week or teaching almost 90 children in Sunday school, there were always precious little ones in my life. Lydia was a joy to teach because she loved to learn. Sometimes 80 or 90 kids would feel like a rough pothole, especially on the days when they are unexplainably disrespectful or rowdy, but for the most part it was always an adventure sharing God’s Word with these children in Pamba.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” Proverbs 3:5-6. I must admit that sometimes I’d questioned why the Lord brought me to Africa, but then I was quickly reminded that He has used me in so many ways. I have been delighted to host visitors in the International Teams Guest House (my home), visit orphans, read to a few people who are blind, help run a Christian resource centre, sit with friends who are either Ugandan, Chinese or Indian, or lead bi-weekly worship around a bonfire.

“The moment I will never forget is when I came over that last hill. Looking ahead, I saw a huge castle that was sparkling in the sunlight. As I gazed in wonder at the sight before me, I saw someone coming – it was the King running towards me with His arms outstretched. Although I had never before seen the King’s face, I knew that it was Him. And thought I could hardly believe it, beside the King ran the Prince! They had not been able to keep the Prince captive and now we were both here in the Sparkling City! I marvel at how the King has worked all things out in the end. Finally, I am home.” (A quote from “Trek” Bible study material from Winkler Bible Camp)

Occasionally during my travels I would see huge fields of sunflowers and I’d thank God for the beauty of my favourite flower. And it would lead me to remember all the other beautiful things in my life. On Monday nights 14 young ladies would gather in my living room to study God’s Word. These princesses of the King of kings have come to mean a lot to me. During the school semesters, these village girls live in a boarding house across from my compound and we have shared many joys and struggles together. And just like a field of wilting sunflowers, I pray that these ladies will not lose their thirst for God, but that they will spread seeds that will once again rise up to give glory to the Lord.
I have just one and a half more months here in East Africa. I leave for Kenya on December 20th and will be spending Christmas with my friend Zima and her family there. I am truly glad that I hopped on the piki-piki, I mean, plane, and spent a year in Kenya and Uganda. I pray that God will be glorified every mile of the journey and that I will continue to ride in His goodness and love.
PRAISES:
o 10 months of safety, good health, and happiness in East Africa.
o 90 children in the Pamba community who have clearly heard God’s message of love and grace.
o A wonderfully supportive team.
o I am thankful for a family who has given me their blessing to be here.
o I’m mostly grateful to God for using me in such a diversity of ministries.
PRAYER REQUESTS:
o The transition back into Canada in January and for the friends I leave behind.
o For God’s Word and heart, truth, justice, and wisdom to spread through all of Uganda.
o Future direction in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment