Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, June 17, 2010

The 3:17's - September 13, 2009

This afternoon I watched a very touching film that began with this quote: “If you want to make God laugh... tell Him your plans.” I pondered that for a bit and then realized that I am the one who does the laughing. God sure leads me down exciting paths I never imagined. And once again I am reminded of Zephaniah 3:17, “The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great DELIGHT in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will REJOICE over you with singing.”



This week I had a few occasions to chuckle under my breath as I realized how the Lord was leading.

ü The Lord was definitely in control when he led a huge Israelite crowd out of Egypt, under the stammering leadership of Moses, and He is still in control as He places fun ideas in my head as to how to creatively teach these stories to 75 plus rambunctious kids on a Sunday morning. The last two weeks have been very rewarding, and I am starting to get to know more and more of the children personally.

ü I went with Fida to Lira, a bigger city, that is 2.5 hours NW of here. (And I actually got to drive the Land Cruiser the whole way – WOW – I was pumped.) The plan was to spend just one day in Lira, to encourage a few pastors, visit a cassava crop to see if it was growing and providing income for a whole community, and we dropped by a government school in major need of repair. I spent a lot of time praying internally that day. So what made me chuckle, well, TIA (This is Africa) it turned in to an unexpected overnighter because the agenda was too full for the day and the roads were too muddy to drive home in the dark. I had to get over my initial bitterness of not having a change of clothes, my malaria pills, a tooth brush, and just living on a whim, trusting that God’s will would be done.

ü There are days when I get just a little too culturally frustrated or tired, and it is always at those times when God provides a fun team activity. On Monday I went to fun Labour Day party with many other missionaries in town. Yeah, a barbeque and old fashioned salads. Woo Hoo!

ü Four times in the past two weeks I have had people tell me that I should be a preacher and that they want me to come and speak to their congregations. Now part of me should be expecting this, because I am a “missionary” after all, but I always have a good laugh. I don’t feel like I can be a preacher, but I sure do love being in front of a crowd. Maybe I need to remember that God will give me the words to say if and when I really do need to speak. I may even need to give it a whirl, since it seems to be something God is impressing upon my heart more and more.

ü A Ugandan friend challenged me this week by saying that some of my blog entries (www.karebear-lubbers.blogspot.com) suggest that Uganda is rather primitive. I was surprised to hear him say that, and so I have been trying to think about that. Do you know, some of the things that may come across as primitive are some of the things I love most about living in Africa? Frogs in the pool – cool. Would have been even more fun if I could have caught it? I would love to hear from you... am I painting a sad picture of Uganda, or one that makes you think or chuckle with me?



I want to finish off with another verse I was encouraged with this week. “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Saviour. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on to the heights.” Habakkuk 3:17-19



FYI, I have temporarily solved my banking dilemma. I continue to thank the Lord for the many people who are supporting me financially and personally. May you also seek the most Heavenly Father and trust in his plans.



Delighting in the Lord’s Delight!

Karebear Lubbers

No comments:

Post a Comment