Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, May 14, 2009

Scrabble

Last night a new friend invited me over to meet his cousins that he is now taking care of. Both of the parents died of HIV and he wanted me to especially meet the young lady, so I could chat with her. Both teens are in high school and super shy. They didn't want to say a word to me on the first visit... so instead a scrabble board was brought out by another friend and a challenging game of words took place. Who knew that I would royally get my butt whooped in English words by a Ugandan. (But he does play on behalf of the country - in Kenya and South Africa - so I should have guessed he studied the dictionary.)

Just as the game was finished, dinner was brought out. Yummy, but tough, pork on a plate with 5 spoons. We all sat on the floor of his simple home and took dinner together. I loved it! And then, as curfew drew near and the rains were pouring, I was brought home on a motorcycle. Just as I got to the gate, I realized that my guard couldn't here me and the padlock was already on for the evening. No problems I thought - I have my keys, but when I went to search for them, they were not there... just a hole in my pocket. Yikes. After a few minutes the guard let me in and I borrowed my extra set of house keys from the Sliedrechts.

Now this morning, just to be honest, I am having major stomach issues, and I have no idea if I drank bad water with the pork, or if I am stressed about my keys being lost somewhere in the neighbourhood, but I hope I don't have to spend all day in the house. I was just starting to enjoy getting to know more good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment