Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sunrise to Sunset

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Beeeeep. BEEEEEEP. The alarm clock sounded at 5:50 AM on this particular Saturday morning. Tim and I hopped into the van at 6 AM and drove a short piece up the road before picking up our team-mates, Josiah and Sarah. We drove into town and parked at the base of Soroti rock. Soroti is a small city that is build around a random rock that soars over the downtown area. The goal was to watch the sunrise.

With water bottles or Bibles in our hands and songs in our hearts we began the climb. A railing guides most of the way, with jagged steps cut out of the rock. The view was incredible. I must admit that I needed more help finding proper crevices and foot holdings than the goats who managed to find their way above the city.

As we sat above Soroti, we tried to put in perspective where everything is - market, internet cafe, our neighbourhood, church, etc. But we also took some quiet time to sit with God and watch His amazing creation. The sunrise brought everything to life. I was filled with a heart of prayer and love for the people of this city... especially as the mosques and temples seemed to be the more dominant buildings in the downtown area.

We got home at 7:30 AM and decided that pancakes at my house might be the perfect finish to the climb. Tim's family, our friend Robert, and Josiah and Sarah all came for pancakes with fresh mango syrup. We have fresh mangos coming out of our ears right now - tis the season.

Later in the morning I watched Avalien and Moses help Tim in the garden. A kids wagon was filled with dirt to collect all the manure maggots that were being dug up. Disgustingly huge and juicy. Tim was saving them as food for the chickens. MMM, Yummy!

I have recently met a friend named Hellen. She is half Indian and half Ugandan and completely lovely. She is joyful and greets me with two hugs everytime she sees me. Well, she invited me out to her village, so at 11:30 AM she sent her brother Ema to pick me up on a motorcycle. We drove to her home in town, where I was introduced to many of her relatives and then around noon I got on a motorcycle with her boyfriend, and she road with her brother.
About 45 minutes later, after taking the highway, then dirt roads, then winding paths, we arrived at her village home, where her mother farms. WOW! A completely peaceful afternoon was spent there. I was first introduced to the living room, where I had to sit while the family came in and lowered themselves before me as they shook my hand. And then I drank chai tea.
I was getting antsy to go outside and Hellen was delighted to show me her mother's farm. 200 fresh orange trees were growing, turkeys feasting on drying cassava, and ground nuts (peanuts) are beginning to peak through the soil. We spent the afternoon collecting fruits and vegetables. Her mama even took the rugged hoe out to a patch of cassava so that I could try some of this root at home.
Lunch was aboe - greens cooked in peanut sauce, mudfish, chicken, rice, and posho (thick white cornmeal). Very filling. The four of us guests ate in the living room of their simple cement and brick home while the rest of the relatives sat outside beside a mud hut with grass roofing.

At 5:30 PM the skies began to darken and it looked like rain was threatening to appear. After signing the guest book, we prepared to leave. With a bag full of oranges and a chapati pan on my lap, Andrew and I headed out on the bike once again. Instead of rain the skies produced huge pockets of sunshine, with the sunset rays beaming down. Absolutely stunning.

I got home at 7 PM and noticed that my compound was empty, so I crossed the street to visit some good neighbours of mine. The husband, Denis, is a young man who loves to study medicine and science. His wife, Stella, works for Compassion International and is going to give birth in July. I wanted to make sure that Stella was doing well as she had malaria ealier this week. We talked and laughed together for an hour and then they walked me home to my gate in the dark.
I ate mangos for dinner and updated my photos for this day. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment