Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, October 8, 2012

Kalacha Shots

Time flies... but I wanted to show you a few shots from my rest in Kenya.
 A view from behind the Andersen's home... a peaceful place to take a walk.
 Beauty in the barrenness!
 My favourite tree - the Acacia
 Homes of the local Gabra tribal people
 Eddie and I went out to rescue someone stuck in the salt flats of the Chalbi...
 When salt is on top of the sand, clay is just underneath... lesson learned.
 The Gabra are nomadic camel herders... lots of livestock for income and bride price.
 Rachel and I went for a walk one morning in the oasis to see many baboons.
 After one week of rest, the Andersens and I headed down country... they were picking their son up from boarding school and I was going to fly out of Niarobi.  More camels as we pull out of Kalacha.
 We stopped in North Horr, the next oasis, for a breakfast picnic
 Here is our mode of transportation... I love the old Land Rovers.
 Puncture number one... at least we have two spares for the Rover and one for the trailer.
 A long and winding road, going from desert to rocks to...
 Lake Turkana!!  Simply stunning!
 A young boy is herding goats
 Homes of the Samburu tribe
 Only a six hour journey the first day, but...
 we punctured both spare tires for the Rover... just a bit nervous we would make it all the way to a place where we could repair them, but no worries...
 The beauty removed my thoughts about tires.  All I could think was WOW!
 Flat plains soon turned to rolling hills.
 We spent the first night with other AIM (Africa Inland Missionaries) in Kurungu ... a village in the valley.
 The AIM airstrip
 These young Samburu girls were watching over their goats, and watching me take a walk.
 On the second day the land took my breath away... I found the Africa I have been searching for!  Ostriches are fun to watch.
 These young men are Samburu warriors.
 Zebras on the side of the road.
 Elephants roaming the landscape
These cans of milk are a reminder of what my body went through on the journey.  Three tire punctures, many times when the seat belt was put to good use... rattled but still whole.  I was glad to have two days in Niarobi to recover... I was fellowshipping with missionaries from all over who were staying at AIM's guest house.  God is doing wonderful things in this corner of the world.
I flew home on Saturday night and was again given a one month visa at the airport, but no worries, I've finally been granted a work permit... I just need to get to immigration and have it stamped into my passport.


No comments:

Post a Comment