Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, March 9, 2012

Sipping on Stoney

It's the end of yet another busy day here in Soroti land, and I'm trying to cool down with a refreshing Stoney... it's a strong ginger beer (non-alcoholic) for those of you who don't know what that is... it's one of my favourite drinks here.  I love ginger.
Beckie and I left yesterday to check out her home in Morungatuny.  Her simple brick structure is still under construction, so we spent the night in a hut on the compound of our friends - Francis and Josephine.  They are both former child soldiers. 
Francis walked around his whole village with us, telling us stories of where his mother hid when the LRA swept through the area, and pointed out where he was captured from.  He is the 2nd of 9 children, and yet the only one to be taken, but already that was 10 years ago.  Through the grace of Christ, it is amazing to see how much peace and joy he has in his life now.
Then today, Beckie, Francis and I continued to journey up to Abim, which is on the border of Karamoja region.  Francis made us slow down when we got to a dry swamp.  He said that during captivity many children died in that swamp... a somber moment.  Francis quickly perked up again though and told us to keep going to Abim.  I love going up there because of the beauty of the land.  Tall hills surround towns and villages that are built differently than in Teso land.  There is a circular pattern in the roofs of the grass huts.  We went to encourage a few students who are studying up there, and to meet up with a pastor is who helping to organize a few leaders for an upcoming spiritual retreat.
All day people were exactly on time, or even early for all appointments, which left Beckie and I in shock.  She kept saying "Who hit the EASY button?"  I don't know, but it sure was nice to be home in time for a short nap before dinner. 
This evening I went out to sing with a few musicians.  They wanted help learning hymns like "In Christ Alone" and "My Jesus I love Thee".  I love singing and it's always a pleasure to jam with good musicians.  It brings me back to my highschool days when I spent hours in a friend's basement studio... just making music!!  (By the way, that friend became the drummer for Haste The Day, if you've ever heard of that famous band.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment