Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, December 28, 2009

Mishaps in Mombassa

This morning, after getting off the bus at 6:30 am I found my way to a Glory Holiday Resort, thanks to my tuk-tuk driver. Yes, those three wheeled motorcycle taxis are not only in India, but also in Mombasa. I checked in, bought a few groceries, especially liquids because it is so hot and humid on the coast. Then I went for a super long walk to explore the city. Many matatus were trying to flag me down, but I didn't want to take a squishy van taxi today, I wanted some serious exercise. So I walked and walked and walked til I reached my limit.
While walking a matatu pulled over and a muslim woman in full garb was trying to climb out of the vehicle. Her black dress caught on the seat inside the van and she came tumbling out. I was there to help pick up her bag and see if she was okay. She shook it off and walked away.
I found the Bus Booking Office in downtown Mombasa to buy my return ticket for Wednesday and then flagged down another tuk-tuk. And I scored much better on the price. I still forget that everything needs to be discussed. (Even my hotel room I got for less than half price :) ) As we were coming back there were some people selling plums and they looked so good. One man was trying to sell them to me, but I was having a hard time finding my money. We had been stopped at an intersection, but when the light turned green, the vendor jumped on to the side of the tuk-tuk. As we rounded the corner, the tuk-tuk driver started to pull over to let the guy off, but the vendor was a little anxious and jumped from a moving vehicle. But his fruit got caught in the backseat bars, and he ended up being thrown to the ground, under the wheel. The driver had to back up so the guy could stand up. He too just shook it off like it was all in a days work, but the driver thought the young guy was crazy.
But when I got back to the resort and washed the plums, it was totally worth it.
This afternoon I went out for another long walk and finally found a SCUBA dive shop. I signed up for two dives tomorrow afternoon. After some practice time in the pool, since it has been three years since I got my license. Woo Hoo!! I am so pumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment