Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, October 12, 2009

Thanksgiving Turkey

Yesturday I went back to church in Pamba and to my surprise (and I must admit, delight) there were only 20 or so kids in my Sunday school class. It was the first time we could have a more intimate session together and everyone was able to share what they are thankful for.
After church I went with Pastor George and his wife over to their compound and joined them for lunch and great fellowship. Soon it was time to pick a turkey from their flock. We walked around the yard until I found a turkey that I thought was the perfect size.
So I picked the turkey (front left) and a young boy ran to catch it for me. Woah - turkeys have strong wings. Mom told me once that I used to play in the turkey barns when I was a little girl... and I think I must have had more courage then than now.
A huge pot of water was put on to boil and the turkey was carried to the edge of the compound, we laid her on banana leaves, and soon she gave her last squawk.
For about 20 minutes we hung her from a mango tree, to drain the blood.
Then stuck her in a pot of boiling water and began to quickly pull out all of the feathers.
Then a young lady assisted us in cleaning out the bird and before I knew it... it was 4:30 pm and I was biking home with a turkey in a big pot on the back of my bike. I stuck it in the fridge over night and then raced home from school today at noon to decorate the bird and put her in the oven.
Ta DA!! My second turkey. Last year I cooked my first turkey, but I didn't really get to share it for Canadian Thanksgiving because my nephew Caleb decided to be born at the same time. So I was delighted to share this yummy bird with my friends.
Actually, I thought there were going to be 16 people for dinner. 7 mzungus and 9 Ugandans, but a few of the Ugandans brought a few other Ugandans, and before I knew it, I only had the neck and half a gizzard of my precious bird. The rest was eaten in a hurry.

I was just super grateful to share Thanksgiving dinner with so many wonderful friends.
After dinner we had a time of Praise and Worship around a bonfire and even more friends were invited. I counted 39 people at one point. We sang songs, and yippee - had two guitarists playing. I shared some thanksgiving Bible passages and we all spent time either praying or saying what we are thankful for.
Peter once again graced us with his music.
At the end of the evening Josiah, Sarah, and I sat around my table, eating a delicious piece of pumpkin pie that Mandy was able to bake for the occasion. Yum Yum. A satisfying evening. The Lord is good and I am thankful for friends, family, food, and wonderful fellowship.
Now I have to stay awake until 11:30 pm when my whole family is going to skype me from their Thanksgiving Day gathering.









1 comment:

  1. Caleb did have a way of changing Thanksgiving plans last year hey? Little turkey! LOL

    Sorry the skype thing was a bust. But we did get to see your face for a brief moment.

    ReplyDelete