Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Maranatha - Lord Come Quickly

This evening I attended my final meeting at "The Writer's Nest".  Tonight's theme was "Devotional" and I thought I would try write a devotional, which I've never really done before.  But here's my piece:


Revelation 22:7-9
’Behold, I am coming soon!  Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.’  I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things.  And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me.  But he said to me, ‘Do not do it!  I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers the prophets and of all all who keep the words of this book.  Worship God!”

While driving in my car the other day, I heard an old Tim McGraw song that says: “I went sky diving.  I went rocky mountain climbing.  I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu.  And I loved deeper.  And I spoke sweeter.  And I gave forgiveness I’ve been denying.  And he said someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.”  All those adventures sound like a great way to live.
Some of us may have lower expectations or excitements than what the world thinks is cool – I hope to have the house clean at the end of the day.  I want to give my child a hug every day.  I want to send a letter to a lonely friend.  I want to honestly pray for a friend when that friend has requested prayer.  Or I want to watch the sun set and thank God for another day.  These are all important ways to live.

Throughout the past 15 years, I often remember back to a college professor who used to end his class with a prayer that finished with the words “Maranatha, Lord come quickly!”   I pondered those words and placed them near to my heart.  I really do want to have the Lord come back quickly, but I also want to greet each day to the glory of God because I never know when my time on earth is done.
Now as I prepare for the mission field, I am excited that I can continue to worship God by sharing His Good News.  Even though I am ready to meet my Saviour today, there are many in this world who are not there yet.  It is a challenge to all of us as believers to recognize God’s calling on our lives, to understand the chief calling of man, as defined by the Westminster catechism, which is "to glorify God and to enjoy him forever."

Father God, may we never forget that you have called us your own.  I pray that we can strive to worship You each and every day and to share Your amazing love with those around us.  May we understand that our lives are just a twinkle in Your eyes, and that you deserve all the glory!  Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment