Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, November 4, 2011

"Here I am, Lord!"

Rarely do I drink coffee, but yesterday morning I walked over to the serving window in the kitchen at church and poured myself a cup of java.  I strolled over to the small woman's Bible study group and assumed I would just melt into the crowd - But God had other plans.  One leader had the flu, another was at physiotherapy, and the only other leader who was present had lost her voice.  :)  Usually we start the meeting with singing and this morning was no exception - books were handed out and soon "Here I Am Lord" was chosen and I was quickly asked to lead.  Sure - no problem.  As we were singing the words I started getting choked up.... as I know I have told the Lord that I am willing to GO and now I know for sure HE is sending me.  That song brought a few testimonies - of how people were either willing to go or of how some were scared to even sing the chorus because they didn't want to make promises they couldn't keep.

Normally after a time of singing, the large group breaks into smaller groups, and then I noticed that my group didn't have a leader at all.  One of the older ladies leaned over and said, "Karen, will you lead the group today - you are always so good at it?"  Well, I haven't been leading at all this year - due to a crazy work/fundraising/surgery schedule and I didn't even own a book, but I felt the Spirit prompting me to say YES.  So I did! 
Upon arrival to the classroom in the basement of the church, I was handed a Study guide on Matthew and together we opened our Bibles to Matthew 4.  The next hour turned out to be one of the best discussions ever.  We talked about Jesus being led into the desert by the Spirit to be tempted by the devil.  Satan tried to tempt Jesus - with food, wealth, and authority, but Jesus was able to remain strong and quoted Scripture.  It was noted how important it is to hide God's Word in our hearts.  We also chatted about the differences between trials and temptations.  Trials are things that happen to you, while temptations are things you have chosen to allow happen.  Great explanation!
I also had one of those moments that sometimes baffles me in my faith.  I know God allowed Jesus to be tempted - so that we could see how human he was, but that he also came through the temptations without sinning!  He remained perfect, to be the Saviour of the world.  But why?  Why does God even allow Satan to test and tempt others?  He had a hay day with Job.  He slyly approached Eve to eat the fruit in the Garden of Eden.  We know that Satan is a created being, a fallen angel, but why does God still allow that evil to exist?  God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.  God flooded the earth during the times of Noah.  And yet Satan and his dominions are always there, trying to get us to turn away from the most loving, kind, just, forgiving God there is.  Maybe it is to make sure we really CHOOSE life with Christ and PRAISE God in all of His amazing glory.

Week 6. Our Spiritual Future
Day 4: November 3

Read: Ephesians 3:14-19
"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  And I pray you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

Today we pray for:
Growth in our love for each other - and for the weekend of Discovery - with starts this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment