Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vocational School

Yesturday I was able to spend the afternoon playing with some very precious neighbourhood children. Aaron and Joanne fought to find a place on my lap. Joanne is an orphan and it is really neat to some local church leaders taker her into their home.
Aaron and Joanne want to greet all those who are far away.

Francis, one of the CAAF (Children Affected by Armed Forces) members came over the other day to share his story with those who were staying in my home. When the meeting was over he invited me to come and visit him and his friends at the vocational school. I promised I would.
There were a few teachers at the school who also wanted some Bible so I thought that a trip was in order. I walked over to the Fida office this morning to greet my friends and to see if anyone was available to take me to the vocational school. Fida is the agency that is sponsoring 21 of these village boys... as they are learning carpentry, driving and mechanics, bricklaying, and more. Well, after fellowshipping and sharing a tiny amount of pork with my friends at the office it was decided that one of them would take me on the bike.
First we went to town to buy two bobbins for some CAAF girls who are also taking a sewing class at the vocational school. We made our purchases and headed to the school. There I had to go through the ropes of meeting with the principal, the head teacher, the secretary, and then to eat posho (corn meal) and beans in the teachers lounge. The Bibles were passed out and the bobbins delivered. Then Francis was called out of class to come and meet with me.
Ten minutes later all the CAAF members were seated under a tree, and my friend, and the head master all met with them. We asked how things were going with the boys and they said that they were really enjoying their studies. They were just concerned that they were not getting enough food because the famine has decreased the portions. Also, they were in need of soap and sugar, but otherwise they were doing great. Sam, the young man behind Francis in the above photo, is learning how to be a driver, but he doesn't know how to read and write, especially in English. We are going to see if something can be worked out for him.
Anyways, a quick visit turned in to a two hour affair and it was absolutely worth it. For some reason the Lord has particularly placed these boys on my heart and I really want to see these former child soldiers succeed - with true peace and joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment