Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, February 11, 2022

The T-Shirt Man

Two weeks ago today, Arthur passed on in to glory and I'm still in shock.  I don't know why this man had such a special place in my heart, but this young man was there for sure!! And not just me - thousands of people around Uganda. He was in a hit and run accident and friends rallied together to pay for the surgery that he needed.  The surgery was "successful", as in, the pins were put in the right place, and it looked like the bones in his foot/leg would heal properly, but there were other complications in the hospital.  A tetanus shot was never injected, so 24 hours after a great surgery his body started having troubles and as hard as Arthur fought, his body just couldn't handle all the infections.  Moses was at Arthur's bedside when they removed him from life support.  I can't even imagine!!

When you live on the mission field, especially for a long time, it's hard to define family.  Of course I love, miss, cherish my blood family in Canada, but there are some Ugandans who have become an even bigger part of my life and I would definitely say that Arthur was my nephew.  About 15 years ago Arthur also lived with Moses and his family for a few months, so both of us are feeling such a loss.  I think many of you know my dear neighbours in Soroti - Eddie and Rose, Vanessa, Victor, Opio, and Ocen, well, Arthur is Eddie's nephew.  A cousin to the crew I love so much.  I lived with Eddie and Rose for 8 years and Arthur spent so much time with us at home.  Days, weeks, and months at a time.  I have pictures and memories of Christmas and Easter dinners with Arthur, laundry days and deep talks.  I remember card games, deep discussions, loads of laughter, and times of advise giving.
Christmas in the village... dancing the night away!
Here's Arthur in my kitchen, when I gifted him with measuring cups because he wanted to be a chef.  He shortly thereafter went off to culinary school, he worked in a few restaurants in Soroti before shifting to Kampala and buying a rolex stand.  Whenever Moses and I were in Kampala, we would stop by and purchase a chapati with chicken and eggs rolled inside.  He was a great cook!
Arthur Paul Aisu. He loved hanging out with his cousins!  He was famous for his line "Wait for it!!"
There was a time when Arthur used to come over a lot and want to play cards.  In a super funny way, he would roll up his sleeves and say "Who wants to die?!" As in, he was going to win in cards... I will never think of that line the same now.  
Arthur didn't have an easy life growing up. Some would say he was an orphan.  He did spend time going from family member to family member, and sadly, he also spent some of his teenage years on the streets.
But Arthur, AKA Arthur Bliq, was loved!!
He had a creative, passionate spirit!
And he knew how to work a crowd.
Most of his childhood he was raised by his great-grandmother.  She was also my sweet Tata Felicity.
From a young age Arthur must have liked music.  :)  I have some of his old photos because a few years ago he asked me to scan all of his documents and they were stored in my laptop.  These old photos have blessed my heart.  On FB today I say how someone described him "Aisu Paul Arthur - social media influencer, entrepreneur, dancer, chef, and popularly known as Da T-Shirt Guy".

Here is Arthur with Victor, Opio and Ocen in the back of my car, on a school visitation day.
Arthur's latest job in Kampala was printing t-shirts!
Up until he was involved in the hit and run accident, at the age of 31.
It was amazing to see how well loved he was.  The burial was full of t-shirts that were honoring, remembering, and fundraising on his behalf.
Pray for our hearts.
Pray for the crowds of people who don't yet know Christ, but who loved Arthur.  Musicians even wrote a song to honor him at the burial.  He will be greatly missed by so many.
Arthur, I'm glad you gave your life over to the Lord while in the hospital.  Soroti won't be the same without you. But I'm glad to know that you are resting in Peace and dancing with Joy.
Love you Arthur!

No comments:

Post a Comment