Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

"Running" the Race

I always love December in Soroti.  The season is changing from rainy to dry... so it begins to get hotter - which is my favourite!!  And ministry switches from being in the schools to running youth camps, Bible clubs, and more trainings.
Friday morning, Peter and I drove out to Serere to train about 70 more Sunday school teachers.  A village church was organizing everything and it was amazing to show up at 8am and see everyone already seated and waiting.  We had left Soroti at 7am with my Tata (Grandmother) to also take her home to Serere for a few days so she could plan for firewood and food for another festive wedding next weekend.
Throughout the day, Peter and I tag-teamed on the curriculum.  I read a story, he taught some games, I did a Bible study on children's ministry, he shared different methods of teaching, etc.  This training is always one of my favourites to teach and Peter is full of energy.  Really, I'm proud to partner with him!  God has given him great gifts.
At 5pm I drove back to Soroti alone, while another partner, Joseph, came to do an evening and early morning session with Peter.  Upon reaching town, I ran a few errands then quickly got ready for Oil of Gladness.  On this night we went to Moses and Harriet's house - to minister to their family.  I am excited to see how God is opening up a new ministry of O.G.  Encouraging, building up, sharing the oils of gladness and putting on garments of praise.
After eating very little (I was starting to feel nauseous), I drove many band members home and reached my house at 11pm.  Soon I was sleeping, but by 2:30am I was up with a seriously running stomach.  I spent the rest of the night on the toilet.  I didn't know how I was going to make it back to Serere to finish the training.  (Sorry if this is too much information, but missionaries learn to talk about their bodily functions. :) )  I sent out a text to Peter and my neighbour ran to the pharmacy for some medication. 
At 10am I thought I was strong enough to finish the training, and really I had to go and finish my duty because Peter and Joseph were supposed to leave by 11am.  Another friend help me load 3000 student manuals in the boot, and I took off for Serere.  Upon reaching the church, leaders came out and told me they were all praying for me.  I was humbled.  Weak. Overwhelmed.  And yet, very ready.  I wanted to teach!!  Peter and Joseph greeted me with joy and soon they were wrapping up their session and giving me the floor.  I could feel God fill my body with strength and energy.  I taught for four hours, and the class looked like they were enjoying their time.  I went through the OneHope materials with them and played many more games with application lessons.  When lunch was announced at 3:30pm I just crashed.  I hadn't eaten in about 18 hours and didn't want anything either.  I ate a few dry biscuits and that was enough.  After lunch the leaders asked me to come forward.  I was honestly brought to tears as they prayed for me and my running stomach.  The power of prayer that was coming from their mouths resembled the energy I would think it takes to cast out demons. :) I was speechless as they closed in prayer and gave me permission to go home early.  They would do the group work on their own.  Our God is so good.  And so BIG!  I couldn't believe that I had actually finished the training that I needed to do.  But yet, why shouldn't I believe... God is bigger than a running stomach. 
I drove a few kilometres up the road and picked up Tata and another friend and together we drove back to Soroti again.  I took the neighbour boys to the tailor to get their peg boy uniforms fitted for next Saturday and then I closed the door to my house and rested for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment