Over the years, my dear husband has started to think that I am a difficult gift receiver. Moses comes from a traditional background where men often buy their wives a new cloth or outfit and a pair of shoes. The only problem is - I am very particular about shoes. I want them flat and the perfect weight. Then when shopping for clothes - it goes first by texture, then colour, then the fit. I hate being squeezed and sleeves are a high priority! So Moses doesn't know how to shop for me easily.
So, months ago, he asked me for a list, many of which are not easy to do or find here in Uganda, especially Gulu. I love spontaneous gifts. I enjoy experiences - concerts, a walk in the park, fresh flowers, a picnic, a trail, a hot air balloon ride, a show, or a meal out. I appreciate gifts that express my personality - the colours blue or purple, a crafty item, a great card, a poem, a song, and some delicious milk chocolate. Well, Moses went all out and got the whole list.
He planned an over the top surprise birthday party. Great friends travelled from Kampala on a Friday night and arrived at our home after midnight. Then, I thought we were going out for dinner with just those friends, only to be blindfolded and arriving at an over the top birthday celebration. People wrote poems and songs for me. I was flooded with gifts. He invited Acholi dancers to come and give a show. Everything was decorated in purples! We shared a wonderful meal of roasted chicken and pork. I was blown away by all of the love. Videos arrived from a few awesome people outside of Uganda. I was shocked and in awe. I matter.
I want to share with you just a glimpse of the highlights. Enjoy.
"What a gem you are. What a beautiful fragrance your life is. The last 5 years you have taught me so much by the way you live, serve, and love. You are a great blessing to anyone who God brings to your life. Thank you for modelling Godly womanhood to me."
"Karen, you are an amazing friend. You balance grace and humor. Your kindness is genuine and it touches everyone."
God had me in Mind:
"Before I ever breathed a single breath, God knew me and prepared a blessing. So He created YOU!
He gave you a laugh so contagious it deserves a public holiday.
A smile that could brighten even cloudy days but also cool the hot Soroti sun...
Sprinkled some magical cooking and baking skills. I mean, who else would make rice muffins.
Shaped you into a wonderful teacher and wow - a driver too. So every journey with you is an adventure worth remembering. (Pastor Moses would agree)
He created every single detail with care and precision with not just me, but Pastor Mo, Jimmy, children's church, and everyone in mind.
So I celebrate you because you are precious to me just like all God's sweet and beautiful ideas.
When God said let there be Mommy K he had all of us in mind.
Happy Birthday Mommy K"
A great game of Canadian trivia.
"Mummy K, I cherish every single story you share and every moment I get to listen to you. Your wisdom and warmth are unmatched.
You are a rare kind of grace that makes everyone (me) feel safe, seen, & capable.
Your life is a masterclass in love, resilience, and joy. Listening to you isn't only a privilege but a gift that leaves me richer every single time.
You, Mummy K, don't just occupy space in a room, you bring light, warmth, and a beautiful sense of peace. Thank you for being my cheerleader and keeping me grounded."
The amazing host and mc!
"You are a blessing and an encouragement and a source of joy. Doing TLT together has been an additional joy, to experience ministry together. Thank you for bringing everything to life!"
"Karen, it's been a blessing getting to know you. Your love for Christ & for kids is inspiring."
No comments:
Post a Comment