Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, April 10, 2011

Supping with Strangers

With an Easter Lily in hand, I walk up to the front door of my friend Patricia's house at the same time as another dinner guest.  We are soon welcomed into an inviting kitchen, to meet other strangers who were all friends of Patricia, coming together to celebrate friendship and life.  Patricia has been battling cancer for the past year and a half and her beautiful daughter wanted to host a dinner for those women in her Mom's life that mean a lot to her.  I was honored to be invited.
11 other women, two children, and the hosts.  A fully decorated dining room table easily enticed 13 women to gather around for an evening of sharing, debating, laughing, and crying... but more than that... Strangers becoming friends.  As the dinner progressed, I was invited to share my stories of Uganda, so I quickly grabbed my photo album (which happened to be in the trunk, because I shared photos with my cousins earlier in the day) and told them what God is doing in East Africa.  I felt totally supported by a group of strangers from all walks of life.  Single moms, widows, divorcees, and happily married.  United, Community Church, Roman Catholic, and Christian Reformed.  Ghana, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Scotland, and more.  God's family is so big!
Ashley did an incredible job preparing a spread for her Mom and friends.  Bread and Salad.  Creamy chicken and spinach pasta.  Pastries.  Fresh berries.  Champaigne.  Tarts and Tea.  Leaving a home full of love at 10:30 pm, I feel enriched by meeting 11 more sisters from around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment