Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, April 17, 2011

Girl Talk

Flipping cards as quickly as possible, I was in a race with Rachelle to win at "Dutch Blitz".  My breathing turned to squealing as it was a tight finish.  I lost by one point, but that didn't dampen my mood.  I was having a day of fellowship with girlfriends I rarely see.  Rochelle was the first to respond to my "Table Talk" email and booked a date for hot drinks, card games, and heart-to-hearts.

Leaving Rachelle's cute apartment, I had some time to kill, waste (I dislike both of those words) so I drove to a hairdressers to get a bi-annual trim.  I signed up for a cut and immediately was led to a salon chair, where an Indian looking woman started playing with my hair.   Using her fingers to judge the layered edges, her co-worker asked if it was still raining like the tropics outside.  I said, "Well, it's still raining, but not like the tropics I'm used to living in."  My hairdresser asked what tropics I've been too, and I bounced back with the Philippines and Uganda.  Her face lit up as she shared that she came from Uganda.  :)  The whole manner of our impromptu appointment changed.  She not only cut my hair but brushed, curled, dried, and styled it while we chatted about her home country.  She was close to tears when I left, excited that I was going to make a difference in Uganda.  Although, my hairdo didn't last long as I went back out into the rain.  As the stylist said, my "hair has a mind of it's own!"

Quietly climbing the staircase, with Brenda behind me, into a new suburban home, I opened the door to the main floor and smiled at Lorna. Creeping further into the living room it was a moment before Dixie noticed that I had arrived to surprise her!!  These three ladies are high school friends of mine, through the Pentecostal youth group I used to attend.  Lorna and Brenda live about an hour from where I am now, but Dixie was coming for the weekend from the rural area where I grew up.  Dixie had no idea that the three of us had planned for me to spend the evening with them!!  So fun.  With hugs and giggles, we dove into dinner duties.  Brenda was putting us all to work preparing yummy thai food.  Chopping pineapple, spicy peppers, onions, ginger and adding shrimp and chicken, the four of us reveled in the company.  Opting out of a night time activity, we relaxed in the living room and chit chatted the night away.  16 years ago Dixie and I used to share a microphone while singing a praise team and I thank God that still today all of these ladies have such strong faiths.  I was encouraged to hang out with them and delight in God's work together. 

This weekend was the perfect start to my season of "table talk".

No comments:

Post a Comment