Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Cultural Event - A Father's Burial

Friday afternoon I received word that the father of one of the Oil of Gladness band members passed away.  I called other bandmates and we awaited the news for the where and when of the burial.  Sunday afternoon we found out that the burial would be the following day, in Toroma.  We organized vehicles and gathered at the Cathedral in town to travel together as a group. 

Upon arrival at the homestead at 11am, we saw big tents shading a large U-shaped area around the coffin which was under its own tent.  I filed in line with my friends and church colleagues as we walked past the open coffin, to pay our last respects to a man who died of intestinal cancer.  The ground was rough, the grass was dry, and the skies were bright blue.  I sat at the front of one tent, hoping that the sun would not catch me later on in the day, but thankfully the shadows moved in other directions. 

I'm always amazed at how people love to go to burials.  It's a full day event, with probably 1500 in attendance.  Lots of speeches - from politicians, family members, and church leaders, as well as, collections, announcements, photos with the coffin, laying of the wreathes, and chief mourners. 

As I listened to the children, 10 of them, talk about their father, I became emotional.  Why do we sometimes wait until the funeral to share the good or the tough things about someone?  I felt convicted to let my loved ones know how much they mean to me.  Trust me, you just never know when life is over. 

Close to 4 pm the crowd marched over to the designated burial place at the edge of the property and then a meal was served - of rice pilau, cabbage, meat, brown beans, and posho (cornmeal).  We made sure that as a group we went to greet the one daughter that we personally knew and loved... and then we hopped in the van to drive home. 

My traveling companions thought it was rather humorous that many children would stand in excited groups and wave at the mzungu in the front seat as we drove through the villages.  They mentioned that maybe I am missing a ministry opportunity - to witness to those children who are still delighted with seeing a white person.  Me, I'm not so sure... it can get tiring.  :)  I just think that we all experienced a great ministry together... sharing the final goodbyes with a friend we love so dearly.


No comments:

Post a Comment