Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Admitted with Malaria

On Monday, May 30th I trained at a small private school in the village.  There were 23 attendees at the training, and I shared about creative teaching methods, eight different multiple intelligences, and that pupils are made in the image of God.  During lunch, my friend Jennifer - a nurse - was showing school staff on how to use a malaria test kit.  Everyone watched with curiosity, and at the time, I had no idea that I would be driving over to Jennifer's house that night looking for a test kit myself.
The test came up negative.
The next day I traveled to Kampala to get my car fixed, to watch a movie, and to relax. 
Wednesday morning, I still wasn't feeling good.  The headaches had been occurring for about 4 days... and well...
I ended up blacking out in one lab, throwing up in another... and finally being admitted at IHK (the International Hospital of Kampala).  I had no idea the malaria was so high.  Shivers, fever, headache, joints aching, and nausea.  I have never spent a night in the hospital in my life... but I guess there is a first time for everything.
At least I have friends in many places.  People came to check on me, and thankfully the hospital provided food and bedding.  (Many hospitals in Uganda do not provide those things.)
I spent two nights in the hospital, until malaria was no longer sighted in the bloodwork.  I drove home with friends on Friday afternoon, and I have spent the past 5 days in my house sleeping, sleeping, sleeping.  I am exhausted, but today is the first day that I finally feel good.  I thank God for healing and for the medical care that I received, and for the friends who looked after me.


1 comment: