Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, September 11, 2015

Being a Family Member

Here in Teso land I have been given an Ateso name.  Imalingat!  It has come from my awesome neighbours and I truly treasure having a clan name.  Hardly anyone in Soroti knows me as Karen Lubbers... it's always Imalingat Karen.  Sometimes I do it for safety reasons... so that when I sign guest books or receipts, etc, random people won't think of calling my number.  What I'm trying to say is... sometimes when I put my information on a list, people wish to call me at all hours, both day and night... to either make friends with a white person, or to ask for money.  But by writing down "Imalingat" it reduces the fake calls.  If people really know me, they know how to reach me!  :)

But I'm not here to talk about phone call etiquette, I want to share a sweet story about what it means to be a part of the Imalingat clan.  My neighbours have a big family, but Toto (mother) has totally taken me as her own daughter, and last weekend my youngest sister Carol was having her traditional marriage assessment.  That's the day when two clans meet, to discuss the dowry and get to know one another.  It was a very small, select gathering, but Carol really wanted me to be a part of her day... as a sister.  I was honored and actually, I was truly blessed by the whole event because I knew I was spending the day with a family that I adore. 

Here are a few pics of our day together:
 Wearing the traditional Gomasi
 My sister's waiting at the gate to greet the groom's family
 Here they come... can you hear the trilling?
 The groom-to-be in white
 My family welcomes the visitors
 The visitors receive the greetings
 The beautiful bride-to-be!
 With the bride-to-be and other awesome siblings!
 Signing the guestbook with Toto
Dinner is served and the day comes to a close!! A great event!  I was asked to lead prayers twice throughout the day... and Carol was so grateful that I would humbly represent the family.  What a true joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment