Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Fire Under the Bonnet

The journey to get my parents is off to an adventurous start.  It was my plan to leave Soroti this morning, carrying a German friend who has completed one year of volunteer service here.  We left town around 10:40 am and about 45 km down the road, the car began to jerk.  I was traveling on a marram (gravel) when my gears lost all power.  The power steering went out and before I knew it, smoke was coming out from under the hood.  I lifted the bonnet to see flames coming up from under the battery. 
Trying to keep calm, I blew on the flames to make them lower, while my friend grabbed water to pour.  Once the smoke cleared, I noticed that the bar that is supposed to hold the battery in place had busted and was resting against the wires - creating a short circuit.  Within moments, locals biking by stopped to ask questions.  Then a good Samaritan on a motorcycle assisted in a great way.  He took the motorcycle to the next trading centre and found two mechanics who knew the electrical wiring of a car.  The guys worked on the car for a while... removing burnt plastic and rubber and rewiring the car, there was soon hope. 
My friend was getting nervous that she wouldn't make it to Kampala in time for her evening plans.  The mechanics tried to suggest that I could drive to Kampala, I just wouldn't be allowed to turn the car off.  Ya, right!  I was heading back to town... going to my favourite, most trustworthy mechanic.  After standing in the sun for three hours, we finally made our way back to the main road so that my friend to find public transit to Kampala... I had decided to journey at a later time... maybe by bus. 
Finding a small trading centre, we waited for a bus or taxi to come along.  Being impatient, my friend hopped out and began flagging down cars.  She wanted to hitch-hike to Kampala with all of her baggage.  Well, the third vehicle pulled over, and it ended up being another German who was willing to carry her 2/3 of the way to Kampala.  God is good.  I had even bought a rope that morning, and she was able to take it and tie her stuff on top of a loaded pickup truck. 
I slowly made my way back to Soroti... taking every bump with extreme care, knowing that the battery was sitting loose under the hood.  I drove straight to the garage. The Good Samaritan has called my twice, to make sure that I have reached safely, and that the car is okay.  I thank God for this helpful man. 
A few hours later, and with no additional charge by my mechanic... wires are rewrapped, new fuses were put in, and everything was checked over.  I am now confident that the car will make the journey to Kampala tomorrow.  My sweet neighbour, a devout Catholic, has just prayed over my car and anointed it with holy water.  I'm good to go!
 The burnt wires
Reorganizing her belongings... preparing for a public transit trip to Kampala. 

No comments:

Post a Comment