Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Visiting Vanessa

A few weeks ago, I was chatting with my neighbours when I learned that their sweet daughter Vanessa was having a visitation day at her boarding school in Kampala.  Knowing that I was in Entebbe until the day before, I decided to remain in Kampala so that I could also visit Vanessa on this special day.  Children in boarding school are only allowed to see their parents on one certain day per term, so it was a very important day for 13 year old Vanessa.
On Saturday, after the retreat, I went into Kampala with some team-mates.  We went shopping for things like bacon, cheese, cereal, and a few other treats.  Then on Saturday night I met up with a new friend... we ate some delicious Thai food and relaxed to a Japanese film called "Shall We Dance."  After spending Saturday night at a Baptist Mission Guest House, I spent an hour in a coffee shop - reading and writing, before hopping on a boda (motorcycle taxi) and finding my neighbour Rose on Sunday morning.
Rose was staying at her sister Carol's house - so I made myself at home and waited for the food to be prepared so we could go to Vanessa's school with a special treat.
 Here is Vanessa with her Mom - Rose... my good friend and sister.
The car was fully loaded with Rose, two aunts, an uncle, and two cousins when we drove to Lakeside High School.  Vanessa was in the crowds of students, waiting for family to arrive.  She had no idea I was coming and it was a special treat.  She was in shock.  She kept saying "Wow, Auntie Karen, you are here... I can't believe it, you are here."
Together we ate rice pilau and chicken, and then had a tour of the school.  All of the clubs (science, geography, physical education, etc) were hosting a fair in the chapel.  It was neat to learn about all the wonderful things the teens are learning in school.  Vanessa was so happy - with the powdered milk, soap, and sugar that we brought her... and over and over she read a short letter that one of my team niece wrote for Vanessa.  I didn't want to leave just a few short hours later.  Vanessa is a truly bright girl and God has something special planned for her life.
After leaving the school, Rose, her sisters, and I went to the salon to get our nails done.  Yep, a little out of my element - but a good time of fellowship.  :)  Then we went to listen to some live music on a restaurant rooftop before heading back to Carol's house to sleep for the night.  Early Monday morning, Rose and I made our way over to Pan Dental so I could have a routine (yet painfully thorough) cleaning.  By 10 am we were sitting on a bus, and ready for the 7 hour bus trip back to Soroti.  Kampala has been good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment