Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, December 16, 2012

Youth Conference #1

Over the past two and a half months I have been meeting with an executive committee to prepare for a huge youth conference.  We discussed budget, mobilization, topics, venues and more and eagerly awaited the day when youth would come from all over to spend up to five days together.  We were praying for up to 800 youth, but the Lord sent just over 200 youth our way... and we were still grateful.
I must say that I am exhausted, but God is good!
 I was in charge of registration and I loved it.  It's like being on the welcoming committee... I was able to meet and greet each youth, each day, as they came to attend the conference.  I took the registration fees and collected their information so that we could assess where a majority of the youth were coming from.
 The kitchen staff was busy for days on end... cooking rice and meat, or posho and beans for such a large crowd.  That is seriously hot, heavy work!
 Many of the youth wanted to present songs and dances - and the crowd loved it.
 Meet my little brother!!  Solomon is very special to me.
 Topics varied from a relationship with God to Ugandan law.
I was able to share twice throughout the week.  The first talk was on Purity and Relationships.  Sex is not talked about in the churches here, but it is definitely an issue that needs to be presented.  I also shared about being children of the King, and how we need to be witnesses for the Kingdom.
Most of the week, when I wasn't sitting at the registration table or speaking, I was playing taxi for the other speakers who needed rides to and from town.  I also had to pick up 20 mattresses and drive them to a place for dancers and praise team members to sleep.  I loved being a gopher.... but by evening I couldn't wait to crash into bed.
The youth left excited about being a "Youth in the 21st Century".

No comments:

Post a Comment