Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Adventures with the Writer's Nest

A carving is placed on the coffee table amidst eight ladies who have joined together for the evening.  A group of writers and fans, called the "Writer's Nest", gathers once a month to share on a predetermined topic.  Conversation flows easily after many courageous authors share the piece they brought.  Tonight's theme was "Adventure" and man, I felt like I had lots of stories to tell, but I chose only one.  Missing the train in Kyoto, Japan. 
I had spent the majority of my day trying to write and create a fundraising profile to send to churches, and so of course - God's will and Africa was on my mind as I listened to the other ladies tell their inspirational tales.  One was a fictional story of a roller coaster ride that had a computer glitch.  Another shared a fantasy piece of a dreamer who awoke to find a real, historical sword at his side. 
A woman to my right began to read her piece about the statue that stood on the table.  The statue was of a lady with a swishing skirt, clutching her shoulder bag, with her eyes closed, and a suitcase at her side.  The journal piece focused in on the suitcase... and how we often over stuff our lives with things we need, when all we should really do is empty ourselves and depend upon God.  I agreed to many degrees, but then I kept thinking about the suitcases I will need to pack in the next few months.  What are necessities for moving to Africa?  What are wants?  What do I leave behind and what do I take?  I know I pack light, but not when it's for a lifetime.
And then another lady spoke from her heart and created her story aloud of what a great adventure it is to follow the Lord.  She expounded with such passion, of what it means to travel God's path, that for the first time I don't feel guilty about going on an adventure to Africa.  You see, a few months ago, I was talking to an older lady at church.  She was asking me if I was still interested in Uganda and I mentioned that - yes, I was very much interested.... so much so that I was going in to full-time mission work.  Well, this lady said, "Oh, I guess you haven't lost that spirit of adventure then." 
I was kind of shocked.  Do some people think that I sign up for missions for fun?  Is mentoring former child soldiers the same kind of thrill as scuba diving?  Yes, I love Africa.  And I do have a great time when I am there, serving God, but I never felt like I was going because I loved adventure.  But tonight, as this woman was sharing, I changed my mind.  I sure DO love adventure - when it means traveling with Jesus and doing what God wants, through the power of the Holy Spirit.
I look forward to riding in God's Palm each and every day!

1 comment:

  1. it's a challenge to explain to people the balance between going to work and what "adventure" means. i reflected on this very much during my first trip to africa. an extended family member had said that they refused to contribute to "my adventure" because they thought i was going to do was going on animal safari's have have too much "fun". So, I struggled through this... can you work in missions/abroad and have "fun" or adventure?
    when i discussed it with several experienced missionaries there, they said "of course missions is adventure" - but everyone's life is an adventure if they choose to see it that way.

    i think what happens often is people equate living and working in africa to a safari or some exotic vacation that we just don't come home from, while it is indeed a "job" or a "vocation" just like any other - that comes with trials, struggles, heartache, and yes, even a little adventure.

    i don't know - so many different ways to interpret it and experience it...

    ReplyDelete