Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, March 11, 2011

Relationship with a Wart

A white bump.  An annoyance.  An ugly mark... this is the wart that for two years has been living on the top of my left thumb.  I've tried every type of over-the-country drug to get rid of it, and eucalyptis oil, but to no avail.  I joked about it during my "Missionaries in Training" getaway that we are all members of the body of Christ - and we all support each other.  Some of us may be the head or hands, while others will be the blood and muscle, but there will also be some who are nose hairs, fingernails, gall bladders, and maybe even warts.  (Although after I said that, warts aren't really supposed to be a part of the body, but I seem to have to live with mine.)  Meaning: we all have different roles to play, but we still serve and worship the same God.  We are Christ's body.

Yesterday, at my weekly women's Bible study meeting at church, we shared an indepth look in to Colossians 3 and thought about putting new clothes on our bodies.  I need to step away from a life that is filled with impurities, evil desires, distrusts, lies, greed, idolatry, anger, slander.  I must clothe myself with God's character.... and it's not something that just happens.  Prayerfully and purposely, I need to step into humility, gentleness, compassion, patience, kindness, forgiveness and love.  Woah... I need to consciously be aware of when I am straying from how God desires me to live. 

After the Bible study I went to see my family doctor for a routine physical... not my favourite activity (so I must admit I delayed it for a few years) but I am beginning to realize how important it is to focus on our whole body.  Too often we just do quick fixes to make things look good, or we concentrate and complain so much about annoyances like warts, that we don't take care of or check up on the rest of the body. 

The opening question to my Colossians 3 study was: "Almost everyone has one or two negative qualities that seem to resist change.  Have you ever given up on changing something about yourself? Why?"  Wow, a deep thought.  I'm still praying about what I really need to change... procrastinating on confrontation and accountability might be one of my biggest concerns at the moment. 

Hopefully I don't ever give up though... I truly wish for the Spirit to work in my heart and life!  Always.  I must cut out the negative qualities, whatever it takes.   So I took that lesson with me to the doctors office and had my wart burnt with dry ice.  Once the blister heals, hopefully I will be rid of that quality that I have been holding on to for far too long. 

For a musical expanation of how I feel at the moment, please click here.  The only way for me to truly change is to be thankful for the cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment