Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, January 9, 2011

Americana in Niagara Falls

Crashing on the couch in my colourful fish print nightgown, I'm reflecting on the weekend we just had.  Friday was a blast.  As a local paper, Christian Week, wrote "Missions veteran joins newbie to raise funds for school", I teamed up with a delightful high schooler from my church to raise money for missions.  My young friend is heading to Belize for a spring break building project with some peers from her high school.  We decided to do a "Coffee That Counts" fundraiser... and wow, it is a blessing to be a part of an amazing church community. 
Friday night, some 140 people came to share snacks, coffees, and fellowship, while bidding on silent auction items and listening to the live music that various people from our church provided.  The fellowship hall of the church was decorated with couches, paper lanterns, Christmas lights, round tables with bright table clothes and calming candles.  I am beyond grateful for the support that was raised! 
Saturday morning I packed my bags and hopped in the car with my parents and youngest brother.  We met up with my other two brothers, their wives, and my 3 nephews and niece at the Americana in Niagara Falls.  This was our Christmas gift as a family.
 For two days we played in the water park.  Racing each other down water slides, hanging out with the kids, or trying to stay afloat in the wave pool. 
 Here I took on Kylee!  She won this race.
 Tubing was also fun.
The 12 of us spent one night at this activity filled hotel... after a long dinner we relaxed in our rooms.  Mom and Dad were kind enough to take all the grandchildren for the night, so us 6 adult children could rest peacefully.  Two double beds and a bunk bed is a much more spacious way to travel than the 6 man tent trailer we shared when we were younger.
 This afternoon, we left the hotel and went to explore Niagara Falls in the winter.  The ice buildup was phenomenal. 
 Enough sunlight shone through the clouds for a brief moment - may God's promises be remembered.
 The power of the falls, the beauty of the snow, the sharpness of the cold air... were all the perfect touch to a weekend getaway.


No comments:

Post a Comment