Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, December 27, 2010

A Saint has Left Us

Aunt Roely Verburg
Christmas night, I was just finishing a scrumptious dinner roast with my parents, brother Rick, and my Grandpa Lubbers when the phone rang.  At 7:02 pm I answered the phone and took the shocking news that my precious Aunt Roely had gone home to be with Jesus.  A serious heart attack ended her life on earth and rocked our family.  Death is never easy, but for me, Christmas has changed it's meaning.  I am so glad that we decided not to exchange gifts this year... it would have seemed tacky.  I just rejoice in the fact that Aunt Roely loved JESUS!!  He is the reason for the Christmas Season. 

Aunt Roely was an amazing woman - a faithful wife, a wonderful mother of 5, a loving grandmother of 15, and a friend to many.  Roely was a caring social worker and an active church member.  Those were her roles, but her personality was so much more.  Aunt Roely laughed easily and loved to tour God's creation.  Her home was often opened for family gatherings and she was a woman of prayer.  Two years ago my Uncle Henry passed away, and during that time, Aunt Roely said... "just so you all know, when I die, I am going to Heaven!!"  We all are grateful for her close walk with the Lord.

The next few days and weeks to come will not be easy as a family.  Visitations and a funeral will take up a lot of our emotions.  I truly feel for my cousins and older relatives.  I am thankful that God is our Rock and source of peace!  I request prayers for my dear Dad as he now only has one sibling left.  Dad has often remarked that I remind him of Aunt Roely a lot - with my mannerisms, allergies, and "evil looks" that I give when I am frustrated, mischievous, or bossy.  :)  I hope that those looks will not be bad memories for him, but a time to cherish his much-loved sister.

To read today's memorial in the London Free Press, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment