Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Sunday, December 5, 2010

Happiness in Hamilton

It's never very long before I need to hang out with friends and / or explore new places.  Yesterday was another perfect example and I was looking forward to it all week.  I met a friend at 10 am and she hopped in my warm car as I was familiar with the Hamilton area.  No traffic brought us all the way to the Hamilton airport in an hour and a half. 
This time I did not have a ticket to anywhere except the Warplane Heritage Museum.
For the first twenty minutes, I read lots of history about planes and G-force suits and war barracks, and then I pushed open the doors to a hanger full of aircrafts.  Awesome!
A few of the planes we were able to climb up in, and receive explanations from volunteer veterans.  This one was my favourite - the Avro.
An hour and a half later we made our way out of the museum, filled with new knowledge and wonder for planes, air force life, and flying dynamics.  Lunch was the perfect activity to do next.  I sort of knew my way around Hamilton without a map, so we drove through Mount Hope, over the LINC, down the mountain escarpment, until we found a restaurant we had never eaten at before.  Both of us wanted to be adventurous and we just happened to pick a Dim Sum authentic Chinese Restaurant.
By pointing to pictures and checking off on a list, we ordered our delicious meal at the Crystal Dynasty.
With full bellies, we drove just a few moments up the road to Dundurn Castle.  Dundurn is the fantastic home of Sir Allen Napier McNab.  Joining a guided tour group, we explored three levels of modern castle, all dressed in Christmas decor.  With fun games placed throughout the castle.
Game #1 - a tray with raisins is placed in the centre of the table.  Some brandy is poured over the raisins and then lit on fire with the candles.  Then the race begins.  Everyone participating is supposed to grab as many raisins, one by one, as they can before the flames die down.  A game of courage!  AKA Snap-dragon.
Game #2 - I would call Bobbing for Buttons Jenga Style.  This is the description: Pack flour into a bowl and place a plate on top of the bowl.  Carefully tip the bowl over and take the bowl off. You should have a perfect nice round flour hill. Put the penny or button on top. Take turns cutting a chunk of the flour off with the knife. Try to keep the penny or button on the top of the flour. Eventually the price will fall. The persons who made it fall has to pick the penny or button up with their teeth (no hands allowed).
To finish off the tour, we bundled up and marched over to the Military Museum.  There was some discussion around this poster.  Do you think that the mother who gave up her son to war looks somewhat like how Mother Mary would have cradled Jesus?  Just curious.
To complete our day away, we went to an artisans festival at the Freeway Cafe.  All the vendors were raising money to support missions in Uganda.  I was able to hang out with my team-mates from last year... Sarah and Josiah Bokma.  Sarah is the very talented artist of the above two paintings. 
On the way home, I was chatting up a storm so much that I missed the 427 exit and ended up driving along the waterfront in downtown Toronto, catching a glimpse of the CN Tower lit up like a candycane, and come up the East side of Newmarket on the 404.  Only to be stopped by a ride program at the end of the freeway.  But no worries Mr. Police Officer... I haven't been drinking.  I dropped my friend off at 10:50pm and headed for home.  A great day away!

No comments:

Post a Comment