Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, December 30, 2010

Foggy Days

Driving home last night, through patches of fog and over occasional icy spots, my mind was whirling with all the events happening in my life right now. While my eyes were checking all the dark places on the side of the rural roads - for deer, cats, snowmobiles, or anything that might even bring entertainment to my three hour drive, my thoughts were jumping from Christmas, to writing research papers, to shifts at work, but mostly of my dear Aunt Roely.


My precious Aunt was called home to be with Jesus on Christmas Day and it was a shock to us all. I would consider her my twin sister, just a generation apart. She was an amazing woman and one that was an incredible model of a Kingdom Servant. For the past few days, while spending time with the extended family in Huron County, I have cried, laughed, encouraged, and been encouraged. I was so glad when one of my cousins called and asked if I would help prepare a meal for the immediate family during the two visitations scheduled on Tuesday. Absolutely!

As soon as I could leave a night shift on Tuesday morning I headed for Lake Huron and caught up with a few of my cousins to prepare huge batches of lasagne. We kept thinking that Aunt Roely would have been one of the key people in making sure our physical needs were met. It was an honour to cook, cut up veggies, set tables, and do dishes for a crowd of 50 people... all close family.

Yesterday morning, after waking up to the joyful sounds of triplets who just turned one, I ate breakfast with a few cousins and then wrote a paper. Since I am going out on the mission field long term I have a lot more pre-field training and requirements. The paper I plugged away on was about assessing my spiritual gifts. Encouraging, teaching, giving, compassion, serving... all are a part of who I am, and as I was pondering about who I am, I was also able to ponder about how to use my gifts this week to minister to those around me.

Yesterday afternoon was the funeral. The church was packed! People sat in the basement and watched the service on a tv screen. Tears flowed down my face as Aunt Roely’s life was remembered. I had the privilege of reading a very missional passage during some very touching songs. James 1:19-27 is a solid piece to chew on. I was glad that I could speak clearly and share God’s Word with those attending.

Foggy patches have covered my life over the past few days, but thankfully I have the peace of knowing God is in control; I am surrounded by friends and family who care, and I have other tasks to keep my mind focused on. Today I will be researching another paper on Team Dynamics. I will be heading back to the normalcy of work at the group home. And through all of this I am clearly seeing that God is calling me back to Uganda.

I am excited to teach the children, encourage the former child soldiers, share with those in need, love the hurting, and participate in a variety of ministries with an amazing team. I am hoping to go back by April, and that will only happen if I have all of my funds raised or pledge. I am grateful for the financial gifts and the uplifting prayers that have been given already, but there is still a long way to go.

If you are able to help sponsor me financially, I would truly appreciate it. To my knowledge, I have about 9% of the one-time donations raised. I need to raise $39,471. And I have about 2% of the monthly support needed, which is $3100. If you would like a Canadian or American tax receipt for 2010, please send your support before the end of December 31.

Canadians can donate here.
Americans can donate here. Please put "Karen Lubbers - Uganda" as the designate.

Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment