Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Going Roman's Way

Breaking in my shoes one more time, I hiked down to Pier 2 to catch a ferry to Rangitoto Island. 
Auckland has a huge port, and the tankers are unloaded and loaded in about 16.5 hours.

This is a very old lighthouse that guides many ships into the Auckland port.

Rangitoto is a 600 year old volcano that erupted in to an island.  Black lava covered much of the island, and the greenery is finally starting to grow in... first lichens and moss, then seeds from the wind and birds.

Just before heading to the lava caves a handsome man spotted me taking a picture of Bones.  He smiled and then asked if I would take a picture of him too... since he was traveling alone.  Roman was his name and we became tour buddies for the rest of the day.  We each took pictures, but never of eachother... don't know how I could have missed that, because when I go through my shots of the day, I feel like someone is absent. 

It was fun to lead Roman in to his first caving experience.  :)  He is a Ukranian, now living in New York.  We talked all day about travel, 9-11, writing books about Bones, and enjoying the views.

The lookout was 360 degrees of amazing!

Auckland in the distance, on the other side of my back here was the Rangitoto crater.

By the time I got on the ferry by the end of the day, my feet were sore and I was parched, but I'm so glad I got to explore more of God's creation.

1 comment:

  1. I recently discovered TimTam's at my local grocery store - YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete