Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Thursday, June 17, 2010

In Uganda - March 22, 2009

Greetings from Uganda!!
Last Friday I left the retreat with my team-mates and we spent a day in Nairobi getting supplies and checking out the Maasai Market before we began our journey home to Soroti. We spent the first night in a monastery and Avalien thought the monks, dressed in white robes, looked like Angels. We drove five hours on Saturday, bought fresh fruit and spent another night in Eldoret. Last Sunday we drove another two hours to the Uganda border and there had to exit Kenya customs and enter Uganda customs. I was able to get a three month visa for now. That was our hope!! And then another two or so hours on rough roads to Soroti.

I have finally arrived in Soroti, Uganda and have been trying to make myself at home for the past 6 days. The temperature reached 115 degrees this week. :) I have met some great people and explored the town market and tiny grocery store. I have walked through an IDP (Internally Displaced People) Camp and my heart went out to the many children there. I have sat with three blind women who are leaders in their community. I held tiny babies at an orphanage and wondered if they will ever have a real home or experience love. I participated in a Bible study at a local nurses college. And all together I have come to appreciate Soroti and hope to find my place and purpose here.

Yesturday I bought a bike… a cheap, single gear bike. As I was getting on for the first time at home I tripped over the very loose brake wire and toppled over with my bike. I ripped my skirt, cut one leg and produced a major owwy scrape on my right knee. It’s stinging today. Pray that it doesn’t turn in to an infection. I tried to get all the goat poop dirt out of it. J

We have been without power for the past 24 hours, but that’s okay with me, since I don’t care for fans or ice-cubes. J Honest!! I should define “we”… Tim and Angie Sliedrecht - with Avalien and Moses live right next door to me. I will be staying in the same compound as them and my place is viewed as the guest house. There are four bedrooms in my place, and for the most part I may be by myself, but occasionally I will share my home with short-term visitors that come through. Two days ago the Shaarda family returned to Soroti and they were going to move into a newly renovated home, but the construction is not finished, so they are staying with me… that is Josh and Mandy, along with three children - Lydia, Grace, and baby Luca. And then just up the street are my other team-mates - Josiah and Sarah Bokma. A great community and team to work with!!

Well, I must get ready to visit a Compassion International site and visit with the children there. I hope that you will all have a wonderful day.

Resting in the Lord’s goodness,
Karebear

No comments:

Post a Comment