Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Little Too Pushy

I just spent three very entertaining days in Mombasa. An island city full of adventure. Yesterday I had two super fun SCUBA dives, but they weren't very deep. The deepest was 9 metres, but I saw octopus, trumpet fish, leave fish, sting rays, boxfish, huge clownfish, starfish, and much more. God's creation is so awesome.
Then today I booked a trip with a tuk-tuk driver to take me around the city. Abuu showed me all the wonderful sites - Old Town, Fort Jesus, the train station, fancy resorts, Market, and much more. We also got a tour of a Hindu temple. And we ended up having some very good religious discussions. In Mombasa the religions are 20% Hindu, 20% Christian, and 60% Muslim. Abuu later invited me to come have lunch with his wife and son. I ended up spending the afternoon with this young, beautiful muslim family. Now I am awaiting my bus back to Chuka.
You are probably wondering why I labelled this post "A little too pushy", well, I think that Mombasa men are too forward with their words and when they are drunk it's even worse. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is or who is around, men will say "Hey, you girl are my type. I like fat women." Or they would say, "Where are you walking so fast. Stay and we could become very good friends." Even the staff at my small hotel were incredibly open. They said, "Hey, how can a girl like you go to her room alone at night?... Don't you know that it's very hot in Mombasa and that makes people's blood boil, and you need some ways to release your energies." Are you kidding me? I ended up having a long talk with these two kitchen staff - because the power was out and I was eating my supper at the outdoor cafeteria. They were absolutely stunned to here that there is a 33 year old virgin in the world. I just can't imagine how many foreigners come to Mombasa and fall for those lines though.
And then there are those who decide to become your tour guide the minute you show up at a place. Even when the signs are very clear or you already know your way through a place, they stick to you and then ask you for 50 - 100 shillings at the end. I hate paying it, but sometimes they will grab your vehicle or make a huge scene. It really frustrates me because it wasn't money planned in my budget. Even Abuu was upset at the end of the day that I didn't give him a tip, even though I know I paid him very well.
But there are saving graces everywhere. This morning I was researching cheap hotels in Nairobi before I fly back home on the 7th of January. A man at the next computer saw me with my map out and asked what I was looking for. He ended up being a tour representative and within five minutes he had booked me a cheap hotel in the right location. And he said, "I don't want any commission, please"... if only I would go on to the hotel's website and say that he helped me book the room. It's promotion for him. I was peaceful about having the next leg of my journey organized. Eight more days folks and I'll be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment