Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, November 20, 2009

Slumber Party

Yesturday afternoon I was writing more of my Christmas letter, some of the neighbour kids came over to play. Henry, Lydia, and Winnie love playing in my house. Later in the evening I packed my bright pink suitcase with a game of Bingo, a pillow, blankets, water bottle, toothbrush and paste, Bible, and a book and marched across the street to where Henry lives.
His parents run a hostel for 68 village girls who need boarding while they attend high school in Soroti. And this is where my 14 Princesses reside. I was invited for a slumber party.
Just after arrival we all sat down on the bedroom floor to share a meal of beans and posho (white corn bread). Somehow a chicken leg also appeared in my dish. I think it was a gift from the hostel owners. :) After dinner I introduced the girls to Bingo. They loved the game!
It was a rainy night, so we hung around inside the room, talking, singing, and laughing. They were so excited to see my teddy bear in their room and wanted to hear more of "Bones'" stories of adventure. In this particular room, which they called "I don't care" there were 4 triple-decker bunks. Occasionally girls from the other rooms, "Queens" or "Warriars", etc would drop by to chat.
I also joined the whole group in watching a Nigerian film on a tv where the colour is mainly green. It was a good story, for once, about a blind boy who prayed for his family, and after 2o years his father finally came to know the Lord. Really inspiring actually.

I climbed in to bed around 11pm. Thankfully they gave me the bottom bunk. This was the view when I looked up. :) At 8 am we started to greet the day, in song. Slowly we took bucket baths and ate cassava chips and posho porridge for breakfast. And again, this time an orange was sitting in front of me on the floor. The father of the hostel was so proud to have a mzungu stay with the girls. I finally crossed the dirt road back to my house at 10:30 am. A very fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment