Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday's Forecast

Moments before nine this morning I received a phonecall from Mandy that the girls were sick and said she wasn't sure they could handle school. So my morning plans were put on hold. But then my helper arrived and we ended up talking for a half an hour before she started working. By mid morning I was doing crafts with 5 of the neighbour kids and the smiles on their faces were adorable. I also went to visit baby Esther, as a good auntie should. And late morning I biked to town to check on my banking situation. Still no luck with the ATM machine or the tellers. I bought a few groceries from my favourite supermarket and the guys said "Hey, you have been lost. How is there? How is home?" I went on to explain that all was great, but that I couldn't afford to buy too many groceries, and that's why I haven't been around. They completely understood my dilemma. Sometimes they have issues with the bank too, because their money goes back and forth to India.
Well, I came home and had lunch and finally received an email from the Scotia Bank in Canada. They said, you have sufficient funds and you haven't reached your weekly limit, so all should be fine. Well, that didn't answer my questions. I know I have money. I ended up calling a number in Toronto and the guy told me that the chips in my bank cards were damaged. How? Brand new cards? No scratches and cuts or folds. Maybe the wires melted was my thought. But I refused to give up. It cost be 4800 Ugandan Shillins to call the bank, but guess what... once again God is awesome, the phone company immediately sent me a text saying they credited my account with 4000 UGX because I am a valued customer. Sweet.
Just when I finished calling the bank, Sarah called and said that a young lady was in a very desperate situation, and could I help? We had met this 19 year old a few days ago. Her older sister had committed suicide (which is the biggest curse on a family here - and nobody wants to attend a burial for a suicide victim). This sister had six children - who are now all in the 19 year old's care. This young lady was also a former LRA abductee and young David, who I introduced last week, recognized her immediately. Well, today this lady came saying that the house she was in with the children was burnt down this week (probably by angry community members) and she has absolutely nothing. I was somewhat upset that I didn't have any money, but I started going through the house to see what I could give.... a few notebooks for the kids to go to school, some skirts and shirts, shoes, food from the pantry, washcloths, and crayons.
So, this afternoon, I delivered the box of supplies I gathered and then biked back into town. I decided to sit in a very long line-up at a bank I have never used before and ta da!!!! I was able to withdraw money on my visa. That means the chip isn't faulty and one of the two banks isn't quite telling me the truth. I am back to buying groceries, air-time for my phone, helping others, etc! God is good. (And in the back of my head I will remember what my bank back home said - if I can't access money through their partner bank - Barclays - here in Uganda, then they would look into waiving the fees it cost me to use other ATM machines. Right now though, I don't care that it cost my five bucks to withdraw money... at least I have some. Praise God. So I went back to the supermarket and bought a box of Bubble Gum flavoured milk to celebrate. (Yep, it's sort of like bubble gum ice-cream... maybe I should put it in the freezer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment